Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mustang II Kit Failure
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 06:42 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Deuce, probably no bolts from highly industarlized countries. Brokers here like to buy cheap, sell high which means places like India, China, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina etc. Don't see many that say made in Japan cause they would have to pay more. So congrats on your self control. I wouold not be worried about Swedish Steel, or German or British nor most of the other old Europe countries.

Willys, I have tried every trick on the bolt so resorted to plan last. We put a #3 centerdrill in a 1/2 " piece of drill rod and I made a jig out of 3/4" plate by reaming a 1/2" hole in it. Then clamped the jig on the cross member with the hole centered over the wrung off bolt. Then it was just brute stuborness to sink the center drill, change to a 1/2 in drill and go to the bottome of the center drill hole and repeat over and over until I had drilled a "free hand" hole 3.5" deep. Then after about three good raps, was able to get the rest of the bolt out. Then I step reamed the hole to 5/8" for the new bolt. The only drill motor we had with a 1/2" chuck that would fit in the limited space between Cross member and grill shell was an 18 Volt Dewalt. The other side will be tackled tomorrow if I can raise my arms!! Fortunately, the bolt head is still on it so we will try hard raps on the back side while craking the impact wrench to 175 psi.

Hope you guys are not as tired of hearing the bloody details as I am of trying to fix the problem!!

Trees