Mustang II power rack/GM pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II power rack/GM pump

Has there been any new developments lately to make the GM power steering pump more compatible with the Mustang power rack and pinion steering?
I have this setup in my 57 Chevy pickup along with a Mustang II front suspension. I installed a Heidt's adjustable valve in the fluid lines years ago and it works ok but I was wondering if anyone has developed newer technology lately ?
Thanks , Gene

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

I have a power MS II rack in my '67 Nova (Heidt's front end), and I bought the Heidt's adjustable valve, also. But, looking further, I found that Borgeson's makes a Chevy Saginaw pump with the pressure valve modified for the MS II power rack, so I bought one.

http://www.borgeson.com/POWER%20STEERING/PUMPS.html

I have yet to get the car running, so don't know how it works.

dc
Old 03-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

DC How close are you to getting your Nova running? Waiting to see how you like that power steering pump. Yeah, that Heidt's valve thing didn't quite cut it, I just kind'a found a spot in the middle and got used to it but it's still to sensitive.
Gene
Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

What's wrong with doing it properly and making brackets to run the MII pump on the Chevy motor? That's the way I do it when I do an engine swap of any kind. Every time I read of someone having problems with an MII rack and Chevy pump I just shake my head and move on. Don't know why I responded to this thread.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57halfton
DC How close are you to getting your Nova running? Waiting to see how you like that power steering pump. Yeah, that Heidt's valve thing didn't quite cut it, I just kind'a found a spot in the middle and got used to it but it's still to sensitive.
Gene
I'm still pretty far out on getting it running. Only thing I need is time and money to get it going...
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
What's wrong with doing it properly and making brackets to run the MII pump on the Chevy motor? That's the way I do it when I do an engine swap of any kind. ...
I don't know why others don't make their own, but for me, I don't have the skills and equipment to make a single bracket. And, I don't like the looks of the Ford pumps.

Why not build/offer to build Ford pump brackets for those who don't want to take the time make them ourselves? Seems it might be a market for them.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

Hey Techinspector
Yeah know , I've thinking about just that very thing , would you please share some of your knowledge and wisdom with me and other fellow rodders and maybe point us in the right direction so we can also do a Mustang pump instead of a GM pump. The proper parts to get and maybe some photos would be terrific. You could even do a Tech Article Wiki.
Anyway , seriously I have though about doing that , got any tips and pics ?
Gene

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.