Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang II Power Steering Rack

15K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 ·
Building a street rod with Mustang II power steering rack and a GM power steering pump. Anyone have any idea what the specs/sizes on the high pressure and return ports on this rack are? My friendly hose fabrication guy says "Bring me the rack" and he'll make the hoses. I'd rather bring him the fittings if I knew what they were. Also, which port is the high pressure, and which is the return? Any assistance is appreciated. Dave 42

#4 ·
There were two different racks used on the Mustang II. One was a Ford and the other was a TRW I believe. They have different fitting sizes so make sure you know which one you're dealing with.

Ford unit is on the left (bolt on pinion) and the TRW one piece unit is on the right

#6 · (Edited)
stanjr41 said:
Nice pictures;but if it doesn't show me which is the supply (hi pressure) hole and which is the return hole, it doesn't do me any good. Thanks for trying, but more info. would be nice. Thanks, Stan
I wasn't answering YOUR question with that particular post. Generally speaking if you want a specific question answered you should start a separate thread and not tack it on to someone else's question.

So you'll know, the small port is the high pressure side and the larger port is the low pressure return and as I said before the fitting size will vary depending on which unit, Ford or TRW, you're using.

#7 ·
Mustang II power steering

Centerline;sorry for not folowing protocal,there I go again, I should probably be writing to you somewhere else,but if you'll notice in the new posts I was trying to get the answer on my own; but my post was going nowhere(like my car is until I get the hoses hooked up right). So once again; sorry to Centerline and Dave42 for intruding on his post. Thanks; Stanjr41. P.S.; Thanks Centerline for the answer.

#8 ·
stanjr41 said:
Centerline;sorry for not folowing protocal,there I go again, I should probably be writing to you somewhere else,but if you'll notice in the new posts I was trying to get the answer on my own; but my post was going nowhere(like my car is until I get the hoses hooked up right). So once again; sorry to Centerline and Dave42 for intruding on his post. Thanks; Stanjr41. P.S.; Thanks Centerline for the answer.
No sweat. Also there are companies out there that make those hoses and all you have to do is install them. They will cost a bit more than having someone locally make them though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.