Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang II rack attachment

17K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  nunattax 
#1 ·
I've installed a Fatman's Mustang II manual front end and steering rack on my 1950 Jeepster. How tight should the 2 bolts that go through the rubber bushings that hold the rack to the cross member be? I've hooked up the steering column and notice some movement in the rack when turning the steering wheel. Thanks, Tom

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I tightened my bolts till the rubber bushings were crushed to about 1/2 in between the washer and sleave. I have 5000 miles on the vehicle and no movement or loosening of the bolts. By the way, my rack came with lock nuts and if yours did also, they won't back off.

#7 ·
T Evans said:
I've installed a Fatman's Mustang II manual front end and steering rack on my 1950 Jeepster. How tight should the 2 bolts that go through the rubber bushings that hold the rack to the cross member be? I've hooked up the steering column and notice some movement in the rack when turning the steering wheel. Thanks, Tom
How do you figure the exact center of movement on a Mustang II steering rack? What dictates the steering stops?

#8 ·
To get it centered, make sure you have the same amount of rod sticking out on each side of the rack body ( may require you to pull the boots off). simply turn steering shaft to get equal lengths. Then measure end to end and mark center point on rack. The tie rod ends can be screwed on exactly the same number of turns each to get you tires so you have about 1/4 toe in. That should get you to the alignment shop if you don't trailer it. The stops will be placed to keep the tires from contacting the frame or the rack from bottoming out, whichever is first.

#10 ·
No stops on the rack itself. I don't know where they are on the Fatman set up, I have a Heidt. The Heidt has some tubing (1/2 ID) welded on the front of the lower controll arms that accept an adjustable stop. I put a bolt with a nut on each side of the tubing. The tie rod ends come in contact with the bolt head.

#12 ·
The T-Bird rack in my Maverick (RCMotorsports front clip) has internal stops. To center everything up, I put everything together then turned it full left and measured from the inner tire to the frame rail. Now do the same for a full right turn. Once you have these measurements, you can adjust the inner tie-rod ends to make both sides even. After evening them up, you'll need to remove and reorient the steering wheel.

There are prolly other ways to get there, this worked best for me with minimal fuss...

Russ

#15 ·
It seems like we're kicking a dead horse again.

The question was asked 6 months ago and the OP never returned.

I wish people here would come back and tell us if the problem was fixed or not.
Maybe they could just say thanks.

Irelands child has the perfect answer for most situations.

Thanks !

454 RATTLER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.