Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang-II rack & pinion mounting bushings??

11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  NASCAR314 
#1 ·
Got a rebuilt rack to replace the old leaking piece of crap that was in the car. The mounting bushings that came with the unit appear too long? Could this be?

Rebuilt unit came from Cardone (Power Steering model, 75 Mustang)

Bushings that mount the rack to the crossmember are what I am questioning.

I do not have my old unit, as it was needed for a core return, so I cannot refer to it.

The bushings have an inner metal sleeve, encased in rubber, just like the old ones.
BUT....., the metal sleeve is longer than the hole thru the rack? So even if it is tightened down, the rack will have some possible movement only retarded by the smashed rubber against it.

I do not remember what the old bushings looked like, as I took it off, and hauled it away. Guess I should have paid more attention.

Is this correct? or do I have the wrong bushings?

Parts book lists the same bushings for a 73 Pinto up thru a 78 Mustang, all using the same rack as well.
(TRW HB 1143)

Anybody replace a Mustang power rack & pinion lately?

See less See more
#2 ·
NASCAR314,

Was waiting for someone to post a definitive answer but here is my experience...
Wonder'd about the same thing when I installed my MII rack. This is the first time I have worked with one. Since I am building everything I did not even have an old one too look at. Anyway, I just bolted everything up assuming it was designed to have the washers compress the rubber into that hole. Seems to be OK.

#3 ·
Thanks,

That is what I will try, if it feels loose or something, I'll make changes then.

Had thoughts of removing the inner metal sleeve, and shortening it about 1/4" then removing some of the rubber, but leaving about 1/4" to 1/2" to compress.

But, what are the chances the wrong bushings came with the remanufactuered rack? There seems to be only one bushing part number for a whole bunch of Fords & Mercurys in the 70's.

If anyone else has experience with this, please jump in............

-Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.