Mustang II rack question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Last journal entry: Volkswagen V8 Squareback project.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II rack question

I am building my tube chassised, V8 powered, Mustang II front suspension Volkswagen Squareback body, hot rod. I have a question on the steering rack (being this is my first project like this, I have many questions). How do I get the rack in the straight ahead position? That is, on a VW steering box setup, there was a mark on the pitman arm and on the steering box you would line up, but on a rack, I am unsure. How are the steering stops figured? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 AM

I would check with a shop that builds chassis for a living. You could check with Rob at NO Limit Engineering in Riverside, CA. He is very knowledgeable about suspensions and a nice guy. He can probably point you in the right direction.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handfull54
I would check with a shop that builds chassis for a living. You could check with Rob at NO Limit Engineering in Riverside, CA. He is very knowledgeable about suspensions and a nice guy. He can probably point you in the right direction.
Thanks. Do you know if he has a web site / email address?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 AM

You can just look up No Limit Engineering on your computer and get his web site.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 PM

If I understand you right, you're simply trying to determine where center of the travel is for the rack. I'd just go lock to lock, count the turns, divide by two and back up that many turns from one stop or the other. That should put the rack in the center.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob70
If I understand you right, you're simply trying to determine where center of the travel is for the rack. I'd just go lock to lock, count the turns, divide by two and back up that many turns from one stop or the other. That should put the rack in the center.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Another dumb question. How is the steering stops figured out? That is lock to lock.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

More questions. On my project, the best I can figure is that my car will be around the 2500 pound range. Power or manual steering? Same with brakes. I have disc on the front and drum on the rear. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. By the way, my wife will also be driving this, just a teeny bit.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

I'd go with manual steering, and manual brakes. That's too light a car to have power anything.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL View Post
I'd go with manual steering, and manual brakes. That's too light a car to have power anything.
So, you think it would be OK, not too much pressure exerted, for "wifey" to drive a time or two with no power steering or brakes?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Hard to say, since I don't know your wife/how strong she is. But power steering on a light car like that, assuming a typical 60/40% front/rear weight bias and a fairly neutral scrub radius will give you no road feel/feedback. Makes for a weird driving experience, like your on ice. I tend to like some road feedback in the steering wheel. I had power steering in my '55 truck and it was much too easy to steer. Same for the brakes. A properly built and set up manual brake system will work great on such a lightweight vehicle. I have manual F100 drums on my '29 Ford hotrod and it'll put you through the windshield if you stomp on it. You don't need power brakes on such a light vehicle. Just my $0.02 though. If wifey weighs 75 pounds soaking wet, you might want to consider power brakes/steering.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

rack stops

I think they sell stops for 5.0 Mustangs for using bigger tires to keep from rubbing the chassis when racing. they should work on the M II.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

try these ?

Ford Motorcraft Steering Rack Limiters (79-04 All) at AmericanMuscle.com - Discontinued

they might work.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL View Post
Hard to say, since I don't know your wife/how strong she is. But power steering on a light car like that, assuming a typical 60/40% front/rear weight bias and a fairly neutral scrub radius will give you no road feel/feedback. Makes for a weird driving experience, like your on ice. I tend to like some road feedback in the steering wheel. I had power steering in my '55 truck and it was much too easy to steer. Same for the brakes. A properly built and set up manual brake system will work great on such a lightweight vehicle. I have manual F100 drums on my '29 Ford hotrod and it'll put you through the windshield if you stomp on it. You don't need power brakes on such a light vehicle. Just my $0.02 though. If wifey weighs 75 pounds soaking wet, you might want to consider power brakes/steering.
Well your, and other posters comments, are worth a lot to me. As I have stated, this is a new type project I am doing and I need all the help I can get. Many rodders have told me that with power steering, it would be a squirrelly ride. As far as power brakes go, as long as it stops without extreme effort, then I will go with manual brakes. As far as my wife driving it, that will be very limited, as even now, I drive everywhere with her as a passenger. For example, this evening at supper, she said how far is it a drive to our youngest son, daughter in law and 3 grandkids house in Aubrey (Dallas) Texas.(You see, we are driving down there Thursday from here in Ballwin(St.Louis) MO.I asked her why and she asked if I could drive the distance by myself. I said I always do. She then said last year, when we drove to San Diego, she said she helped me drive. I said I forgot about that. Yep, she drove 1-1/2hours of that complete trip. Don't know why she is not talking to me right now. Women.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.