Mustang II rear axles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II rear axles

I have a '77 / '78 Mustang II 8" rear end (differential # WDY-AH) with 28 spline 4 lug axles; I want to change them to 5 lug axles. I have access to a set of '75 Maverick 5 lug axles. Does anyone know if the '75 Maverick axles will fit into my '77 / '78 rear end and/or know where I can get the specifications on Ford axles in general to determine interchangablility between different models and years? The Ford dealers told me they purge all informaiton after 10 years, so they don't have the axle specs.

Thanks much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

As someone that owns a rear end shop,MII and Maverick are different lenth,and will not interchange ,you can take your MII axles and drums to a machine shop,or send to Moser Eng. to have them redrilled,the Mav./Comet rear is only about an inch wider on each end to swap in if you have tire clearance,if you plan on buying axles,you might as well switch to a 9",a Lincoln Versille 9" is about 56"-57" and is about the narrowest stock 9",but they are pretty rare these days.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 AM

Last photo:

MII rear axles

Actionjk: Thanks for the information. Are any axles interchangable with the Mustang II ? Are all years of Mustang IIs interchangeable? I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction to obtain this information. If there is an axle that will fit but is too long, I guess I could always take them to a machine shop and have them shortened.

I have the 8" rear in a '35 MBZ replica and the car is only about 2000 lbs. and I'm not really hotrodding it around much (just a 302 souped-up engine) and just changed gears to a 4:11, so I plan to keep the 8" for the time being. I live in Hawaii and freight is an expensive problem, so I'm not too inclined to ship the axles to Moser to have them modified and to have to pay freight two ways.
Mahalo.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Ford interchange

The Factory or hollander interchange would probably not tell you if they would interchange, most of that info is which cars have parts that are an exact fit. Have you tried any of the mustang-falcoln-fairlane Forums for info. mabe there might be a 5 lug axle that you could trim a bit to work .
Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

A normal machine shop cannot shorten axles (it takes a special setup and tool), and if they're tapered or cut smaller after the splines (which is common) nobody can unless they are shortened to the point where the axle diameter gets thick again.

Redrilling a bolt pattern is a simpler deal provided there is room on the flange for a second pattern, which on a Ford can be a problem because of the access hole for the bearing/backing plate bolts. You might be able to find a local machine shop and give them the axles and a wheel and they can work something out. On a light car using five half-inch studs, I wouldn't worry if one of the stud positions has to be compromised a bit (welding, running into another hole a little etc.).

I've re-drilled patterns "at home" by using a dividers to carefully scribe the pattern on a piece of .100 or-so aluminum plate, drilling pilot holes, and (again carefully) cutting out a scribed center hole to fit snug over the center hub. Of-course this template would take only a few minutes to make accurately on a CNC mill. The plate is then placed over the axle and rotated to find the most workable position, then the holes transfer-punched in, then drilled in steps in a drill press with the axles held vertical.

Then re-drilling the drums is simpler. As long as the center hub is snug, the bolt holes can be a little loose.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Mustang II rear axle

To Timothale:

Thanks. I tried one forum, but they couldn't help. I will search for others.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Mustang II rear axle

To KSO:
Thanks for the input re shortening the shafts. Lots more to think about now. I appreciate the help.
Mahalo.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.