Mustang II Spindle and center link steering - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II Spindle and center link steering

1st straight line project. I am starting out with reworking the front-end on a 68 Cougar. I don't have a particular class that I'm building for but I'm trying to stay with mostly using the original bolt holes just in case. This looks like it might lend itself to something similar to a dirt late model style front coil-over suspension.

I retained the mustang steering box (maybe 16:1 ratio), built a custom center-link and longer pitman (6") & idler, etc. Still rear steer and looks like I could have room for a front or rear sump motor now.

My question> I have the Speedway 2" drop mustang II spindles to mock it up and the steering arms are much shorter than anything else I have built. Would the shorter arms make the steering too quick for a rookie to drive? Not far enough along yet to know if the 2" drop is needed. I'm delaying fitting them out with rotors, brakes, etc. before being comfortable in going with these. If needed I think I can find something closer to the stock dimensions for a little more $. Anyone ran a Pinto/Mustang II spindle safely with a center-link style steering layout? Looks like a common GM front steer layout with spindles reversed. If possible I don't want all my focus to be on just keeping the car in my lane or even worse just on the track. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Maybe I think I'm trying to decide if the Mustang 2 spindles typically are sensitive to input and steer so fast that it's like driving a go-cart? Just never drove anything yet that runs them. If so, I may try something different.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

M II front steer !

Mustang II spindles are front steer, the rack is mounted in front. Using them with your rear steer will really mess up geometry and handling.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 AM

I am finding out why kits for these type front-ends are $$$. At this point the only thing stock steering wise is the steering box Built it to keep similar stock tie rod lengths but the input at the spindle will be quicker due to the longer pitman.

Castor/Camber/Bumpsteer I can work on using lower control arms that I can find in several lengths and swedge tube uppers I have here that are adaptable to which ever length tubes you wish to use. I intend to construct an adjustable upper A mount that I can lower the frame side attachments up to 4-5" down if needed. The suspension I believe I have a chance at making work.

Not having experience with these particular spindles > I can correct the Ackerman some what using the heat method (could even try the Wilwoods with bolt on arms). For straight line activities hopefully these issues would be more forgiving. If no one else has been successful with using these spindles for rear steer, then perhaps I can just start out by playing with the stock disc brake spindles that came off of it.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM

cross over linkage

My brother used to race go karts, On some of them the steering had a triangle bracket with the tie rods crossed over. left wheel hooked to right side. right wheel hooked to left side. that took care of akerman problems. But I would work with rear steer spindles for rear steer or a front rack for M II spindles front steer. Early mustangs weren't designed with good geometry. bumppsteer, roll center, etc. Some of the Mustang forums have more info on how to get your 'Stang to handle,
Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will start looking for a set of early '70's Nova disc brake spindles to try. Rear steer and similar wheel base.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 AM

granada ?

Why not stay with Ford, Granada-monarch Versailles or later Maverick disc brake spindles, easy swap, rear steer, More info on the MUStANG FORUMS. Mustang and Cougar were built on the same assembly lines with most out of sight parts the same.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:41 AM

The Chevy drop spindles seem to be cheap and plentiful. Fatman's lists a cougar drop spindle for about $600.

I found a stock Nova spindle pic that shows it measures a little more than 7" tall so it looks like my gain over the M2 would have been mainly in the steering arms that are already closer to being correct.

The cougar spindles measure 8 1/2" tall. My stock config had this one at a pretty high ride height in the front. Re-engineering everything in the suspension may cure this some. A little hard to tell until I get more complete. The lower control arms may be the limiting factor as they could hit the frame where they intersect if it bounces too low. I think for this first try I will just go back with the stock ones I pulled off of it and determine how much drop if any I want later. For now I'll see how tall of a lower ball joint I can find that fits. Picked up 100 lbs of blast media last night. The disc brake spindle assembly I pulled off of it is a bit crusty but I think I have enough media to tackle it

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.