Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - mustang II steering question
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The early MII power racks were 3 turns stop to stop and used standard flare fittings (74-75). The 76-78 was 2.5 turns stop to stop and used a sleeve/o-ring fittings. Some think the power steering units are too sensitive in a street rod, but I have been using them since 1990 and have not found that to be the case. Not enough toe in will run you nuts, but if you set it at 1/4" in (max specified), then you will not have any trouble. I have the pressure reducing kit in my 36 Pick Up and can not tell any difference in the driving between it and the 36 coupe which does not have a kit. The steering is quieter in the PU with the reduced pressure. The extra pressure causes the coupe to growl a bit when parking. Both units have been replaced over the years with rebuilt for Autozone and both have been trouble free since installation. It is my understanding that there are only two rebuild installations and one or the other does all of them. Autozone is cheapest because "they buy in higher volume than all the rest". Can't verify that, but I would not ever pay more than what Autozone sells for.

Trees