Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang II strut rod question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Centerline 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, sorry for one more time asking a question about MII but ....

I have just started working on a new project. It's a 40 chevy and i have installed a Heidts MII crossmember. I would like to stay with the stock lower arms and strut rods. They are too long to be under the frame and i always find the same answer: "you have to bend them to fit under the frame".

Maybe i am wrong but if i move them they'll no more work in the axle off the lower arm. I think it's important to have the lower arm and strut rod pivoting point in the same axle. I really want to keep them. I don't know what to think.

Here is a pic that may help you understand me (not really proud of my poor language :( )

Thanks a lot for your answers ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Kristoph!

I know there are some who will disagree with me on this, but I never believed in bending those struts. Ford engineered that front end design to work within certain geometry for a reason. I can't really tell from the photo how far down or how far in from the frame the bushings are, but if room allows, you could construct strut brackets with gussets for deflection down from the frame rails. Another possiblity would be to make or have a shorter pair of struts made, following the same angle as the originals. I made my strut brackets out of 3/8 steel and had the bushing holes cut by a machine shop.
I've done several of these under different cars and have never bent the struts. Some companies make strut arms at odd angles depending on the application the front end kit is made for.

#3 ·
Had a similar problem on my 53 Pickup. All I did was position the mount where it wanted to be and added gussets to make it a solid installation.

Works like a champ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.