Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mustang II suspension on 37' Roadmaster?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt's37Buick
Centerline recommendation that I need to use a set-up with strut rods.
Not quite sure what that means. Can someone verify that the set-up Speedway recommended meets this requirement? (See attached)
Speedway recommended the following for a Mustang II suspension on my '37 Buick:
Mustang II universal cross member 413-201. 24" - 30" outside frame width, (My outside frame width is 26.25").
Big GM brake kit 9120-31043 (11" rotors) 58.5" track width. (my stock track is 58.3".
I selected tubular control arms per Centerline's recommendations. I selected the 425 lb springs which are good up to 1800 lbs on front of car. (My car is currently weighs 4150 lbs, but expect it to weigh 3850 with a small black v8, auto trans, & Ford irs). I selected 2" drop spindles.
1) Does this set-up meet Centerline's recommendation on strut rods?
2) Do these springs sound like the right choice? I've read of differing results when engine will be mounted behind the front axle?
3) Speedway also said that I could go with narrowed arms to reduce track from 58.5to to 57.25. Does anyone know if I need to do this. (based on measurements that Daoldbuick gave me the inside of the fenders should be about 67.25)
4) Is there a cheaper place or package to buy this same set-up that someone can recommend?
Thanks for your help
The extra expense of tubular control arms is wasted on anything other than a show car. On a fendered car where the suspension won't be seen you don't need all that fancy stuff. STOCK upper and lower control arms are way less expensive and less troublesome. Below is a pic of a Heidts crossmember with stock Mustang II control arms with power rack and pinion steering that I installed on my pickup. The second pic shows the strut rod which runs from the lower control arm back to the frame. IMHO you will be much better off using stock components with strut rods rather than paying extra for tubular control arms you won't see that eliminate a very important part of this suspension, the strut rods.

Note that this setup has the big 11" GM disks from Speedway too.

Here's a pic of the suspension with the 700 lb. Hemi sitting in place. This has the stock Mustang springs and as you can see the lower control arms sit almost level with the ground. These are new springs and after about 500 miles they will settle a bit and the control arms will be level with the ground.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Remember, if you didn't put it together with your own hands, its not really yours." - Tim Allen

Last edited by Centerline; 09-08-2011 at 05:44 PM.