Mustang II suspension guru's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 04:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II suspension guru's

I know, there's probably nobody who likes to see yet another mustang II question.
I hope mine doesn't come too painful to answer. For those who are well familiar with the stock mustang II suspension. I am looking into installing this onto my street car. I don't know much about the M2 suspension, so right now I'm left with some pretty basic questions, such as, will it fit? I don't have a problem with hacking things up or lengthening things if need be. I just have no clue what is going to be necessary.

I'm going to attatch a diagram of my vehicle's frame.

Any information anybody can give me about what I am going to need to do will be very greatly appreciated. I do plan on doing this with a stock m2 suspension rather than one of the remaned pieces incase that matters.

Also, if anybody really knows their stuff with suspensions. I see opportunity here to possibly increase my wheelbase by moving the front wheels farther forward. Would there be any performance reasons for me not to do this?

Thanks alot in advance to everybody.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD60.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	7736  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 04:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

A lot will depend on what your vehicle is and it's projected weight and use. I think in order to get any really intelligent answers to your questions we need to know a little more about your car.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

It is an '86 Mercury Capri. It is listed to weight in at 3,150 pounds, and I imagine it's probably a little more on the nose than in the rear. For right now, it won't see any more abuse than normal city and highway driving.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:55 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

What exactly is your reason for wanting to get a M2 suspension?

It cant be a clearance thing correct me if im wrong but isnt the Capri a fox body clone of the Mustang, i think thats right and a big block will fit in a mustang.

Those struts don't perform to bad and if mustang parts do work then you can buy aftermarket lowering kits, sway bars, and bigger disc brakes.

But...

look up the Lee Salisbury M2 swap at http://www.stuart.iit.edu/students/2112/restoration/documents/M2frontend.doc
because he gives measures of a stock pinto crossmember

or go to StreetRodEngineering for an aftermarket crossmember that is where i got the one for my falcon maybe give them a call, sorry i dont have the number...
Old 11-09-2005, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0Falcon
What exactly is your reason for wanting to get a M2 suspension?

It cant be a clearance thing correct me if im wrong but isnt the Capri a fox body clone of the Mustang, i think thats right and a big block will fit in a mustang.

Those struts don't perform to bad and if mustang parts do work then you can buy aftermarket lowering kits, sway bars, and bigger disc brakes.

But...

look up the Lee Salisbury M2 swap at http://www.stuart.iit.edu/students/2112/restoration/documents/M2frontend.doc
because he gives measures of a stock pinto crossmember

or go to StreetRodEngineering for an aftermarket crossmember that is where i got the one for my falcon maybe give them a call, sorry i dont have the number...
Well several reasons actually.

I have no desire to put a big heavy bigblock in my car. Nor do I really think many engine swaps would be worthwhile. If anything I will put a pair of hairdryers on a smallblock if I really decide I need alot of power. If I can come across a '98 or later Trans Am or Camaro for dirt cheap however that's a different story. I would put a nice light aluminum block 350 in my car any day of the week

You are right, the Capri differs from the Mustang only in cosmetics, it is otherwise the same. Strut suspensions don't perform poorly, but they don't exactly perform well either. Alot of lateral load is put on the struts which will make them blow seals quickly when driven hard (I have destroyed a brand new pair of bilstein struts in 2 months). Strut suspensions also add positive camber to the wheel as they compress, so they require more static camber to be dialed in, which reduces breaking performance and eats tires. The fox strut suspension also has horrible anti-dive qualities which just make it's ability to stop (lack thereof really) that much worse. Furthermore, they're heavy, horribly heavy. Just using a stock MII IFS i'm looking to drop 40-50 pounds, if I make a copy of it in tubular fashion, I can push that up close to 80 or 90 pounds off my nose. The MII is also relatively cheap. I can get one complete for a couple hundred bucks, it just takes a little bit of patience. There are other options that will probably peform better, but not that much better to constitute the cost (Fiero, C4, etc.). And finally, it will simply be something different. And I kinda like to have something a little bit different, and if requires that much more effort on wrenches and on paper, all the better. There's something about being a little pioneering and taking the hard way that appeals to me

Thank you very much for the link to those stock suspension measurements they are very very helpful.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:42 PM
WHY NOT?

Last photo:

Quote:
Thank you very much for the link to those stock suspension measurements they are very very helpful.
...just do'n what i can when i can
Old 11-11-2005, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

Does anybody have any thoughts on making the wheel base longer?

Also, if anybody is familiar with suspension workings. Does anybody know off the top of the their head what widening a suspension does to the roll center, all other things being unchanged?

I think I could "make up" a front suspension design and then do the math, I just havn't had alot of free time to crunch numbers lately.

Thanks
~S

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.