Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang II Suspension Question

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  John long 
#1 ·
Fairly new owner of what appears to be a very well built 1948 Ford 2 dr sedan street rod and I have VERY little documentation history or information about it. Based on interior, air cleaner, and radiator; I believe it's about a 20 year old build. It shows a little over 16k miles on the VDO gauges (all work accurately) and it has a Mustang II rack & pinion w/power steering, ZZ4 crate engine (new in 2007), TH350 trans, air & heat, etc, etc, etc. It has 50 series BF Goodrich radial T/A tires (8.5" rims on front and 9" on the rear) with 16" American Racing Torque Thrust II polished wheels all the way around and has been lowered about 2" (front coils probably cut). I would prefer a little more height in the front end, so I'm looking for educated guesses about my future course of action(s). I'm thinking that I could replace the existing coil springs with ones designed for a 1978 Mustang II (with V8 and a/c) and heavy duty shocks. If I keep the existing wheels (lookin' good), I'll replace the tires when they need it. I might also replace the wheels with 8" x 16" and new tires at that time and sell the 8.5" and 9" wheels. Any input, suggestions, etc?? Many thanks!!!!

#3 ·
. Sounds really nice...

. Might suggest a spacer under or over the springs... or station wagon springs... or load levelor springs... don't know if a wheel re-alignment will get you back on the road then, or need spindles of a different drop/raise height...

. WHY do you want narrower wheels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.