mustang II suspensions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 02:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

mustang II suspensions

This might be a stupid question but here it goes anyway.

I see alot of threads on here about mustang II suspensions and see them used alot in peoples projects. By mustang II do they mean its actually from the Mustang II's built in the 70s, or am I way off there? Also why are they so widely used and what makes them good and/or popular?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 03:49 PM

Mustang II suspensions

I'll give you my 2 cents BUT remember I'm just giving you the info I've received second hand (translation : I have no first hand experience here ). Mustang II / Pinto front suspensions seem to be pretty easy to adapt to many cars & trucks. For an older car you get disc brakes, rack & pinion steering and a better ride all in one. Some people say that they are too weak for some applications. The biggest reason you hear so much about M II suspensions is all the aftermarket parts available. Pick up any rodding magazine and you'll see everybody has parts. Do a search on this forum and you'll find pages and pages info.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by segge
This might be a stupid question but here it goes anyway.

I see alot of threads on here about mustang II suspensions and see them used alot in peoples projects. By mustang II do they mean its actually from the Mustang II's built in the 70s, or am I way off there? Also why are they so widely used and what makes them good and/or popular?

You are correct, sir................

They are from the mid 70s Mustangs. They are popular beacuse they are easy to install. and there are many aftermarket suppliers that make parts for them, like "A" frames and brakes.

They are getting harder to find now, because they have been all gerabbed up at the wrecking yards. You might end up buying all aftermarket units.

Budget RVs
Old 04-05-2005, 06:45 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

From what I have heard,its the simplest system to adapt to a widest array of wheelbase widths. That being said, you can adjust the rack position to eliminate/reduce bump steer.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Last photo:

Most street rods will use what is called Mustang II suspension. Most of the time that means Mustang II geometry. They will use a Heitd's front end for example. This Heidts front end is built on Mustang II geometry. The front end will have tubular "A" arms and coil over shocks with either a Pinto or Mustang II rack and pinion steering.

Some rodders will adapt an original Mustang II front end to their cars, but IMO it always looks like &^%$. The Heidt's or sililiar front end offers a cleaner more high tech front end.

Vince
Old 04-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Even though as a car, the Ford Mustang II was a total abortion, it has some parts that adapt to street rodding amazingly well. The real beauty of it and the Pinto is that they are semi-compact size which matches the size of pre-war autos perfectly. MII auto tranny shifters, emergency brake handles, rear ends, air conditioning systems, all fit right into classic street rods perfectly. But the front suspension is the most highly prized donation to the street rod community. The old straight axle was the standard (and still is for that matter), but as street rodding evolved, upgrading technology became more important. Add to that the explosion of building cars to drive long distances not just to the drag strip on Friday nights, and the desirability of a nice ride becomes apparent. The street rod community was actively searching for a good independent front suspension donor for years before the MII came out. Corvair and various Chrysler compact car torsion bar front suspensions were used with moderate success. Nothing really fit or looked well in the application.

Then the MII/Pinto platform came out had there was as very compact, perfectly sized suspension that would graft seamlessly onto an old buggy frame and give the prefect ride that everyone was searching for. Although the stock X-member gets a lot of bad press for looking ugly, if properly installed it can easily be made into a show winner. Add to that the compact and efficient manual and power rack & pinion steering gear and this became the no-brainer choice for suspension upgrade. There is nothing out there that even comes close.

This is exactly how it comes out of the donor car. Looks pretty nice even in this grungy condition!

I post this picture in threads like this often but this is the stock unit installed in a multi-award winning Willys pickup,
Old 04-05-2005, 12:45 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com

Even though as a car, the Ford Mustang II was a total abortion...
Easy there....Many will disagree with you here...

Quote:
Although the stock X-member gets a lot of bad press for looking ugly, if properly installed it can easily be made into a show winner.
Agreed...
Old 04-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Last photo:

That installation is an exception, I can most assuredly say I have never seen one installed that nice, looks real good

Vince

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.