Mustang II "Twitchy Steering" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 AM

Last journal entry: 1937 Ford Club Coupe LS2 build thread
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II "Twitchy Steering"

Just for what it's worth to anyone else doing this type of a swap in a Street Rod or other with a Mustang II type suspension........I had a issue that it seemed to be VooDoo magic that nobody (Suspension manufacturers included) seemed to be able to address correctly and really understand.........Now.....these guys....Heidt's, TCI etc all sell their kits with the option of Power Steering.........Now......The problem comes in with the GM pumps putting out way too much flow and pressure for the Mustang II racks....The II rack uses 2 GPM and 900 PSI.........the GM pumps (depending upon which one you have) flow from 2-3.5 GPM and 1100 - 1800 PSI.........so.....There is a major mismatch and the car are way too "Twitchy" at highway speed.....so....when you call and ask what to do they recommend the Heidt's bleed off valve or a flow restrictor out of the pump.......these Band-aid fixes basically take the sharp edge off the problem but don't really solve it.........
With that said......I did the Band-aid fix and was able to drive the car many miles, but......at Highway speed you had to be aware to the "Quick" steering sensitivity of the car.......so....The comfort level of driving the car was O.K......But it really wasn't O.K....
The car was so perfect in every other aspect that I just couldn't leave it alone and I had to educate myself to get into the world of this VooDoo magic to resolve this issue...
Now.....I've got the GTO Power Steering pump on my car which has the 2-2.5 GPM flow and 1100 PSI.......The normal Mustang II Power Steering rack is 2 1/2 turns lock to lock......after researching a little bit I found out that the 84-86 Ford Thunderbird Rack is a bolt in replacement for the II....and it is built to operate at the GM pump pressure and it's 3 turns lock to lock..........
I just swaped the racks out and went out for a test ride.........absolutely "Perfect"....I don't understand why these guy's that sell this stuff don't have this knowledge at their fingertips.....or supply the T-Bird racks with their kits....Now....If I was building a Auto cross car the T-Bird rack might be a little slow.....But...for the normal street driven car the steering is just too quick.....

Ken

Heres a link to the original build......

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...2-install.html

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Great info. Thiws is exactly what I've wanted to do on my Willys.

You note the "GTO" PS pump...what exactly is this?? car,year model etc so I can go get one.

How about the series 2 GM pump?? Will this work also??
Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Don't you hate it when a guy never comes back with an update or answer ?!

454 RATTLER
Old 01-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Mustang II and Tbird rack mounting holes are not the same measurement and I am pretty sure the Tbirb rack is wider causing bump steer for those using orig. Mustang II suspensions.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daledove
Mustang II and Tbird rack mounting holes are not the same measurement and I am pretty sure the Tbirb rack is wider causing bump steer for those using orig. Mustang II suspensions.
There is a 1/2" difference in the rack mounting holes. The effective distance, between the inner tie rod ends is the same. Fox Mustang, Tbird, Cougar, LTDII, Fairmont, and later Granada all use the same rack configuration, there is a difference in the ratio, some are quicker than others. A Mustang rack is also a quick steering rack for a Tbird. The tread width diffence is adjusted by how far the outer tie rod end is screwed on the tie rod.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
Great info. Thiws is exactly what I've wanted to do on my Willys.

You note the "GTO" PS pump...what exactly is this?? car,year model etc so I can go get one.

How about the series 2 GM pump?? Will this work also??
You would have to think that he is referring to a Pontiac GTO, as the pump in question seems to have the usual output of the normal GM pumps.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-cab dreamer
You would have to think that he is referring to a Pontiac GTO, as the pump in question seems to have the usual output of the normal GM pumps.

Sorry guys.....Been out of the country......The GTO pump I'm referring to is the LS style pump from a 2004-06 GTO.....I have the LS2 engine in my 37.....with the addition of the T-Bird rack the car drives and handles absolutely perfectly.....the rack was a direct bolt in....if you have a earlier type Mustang II crossmember you can just elongate the mounting holes.....the newer ones are already made that way to allow for the slight mounting hole differences........
Sorry for the delay.......Been into Street Rods for 30 years and these LS engines are the only way to go....Here's a link to the build if anyone is interested

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...2-install.html

Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

thats a dang nice hot rod. i like one you can drive anywhere you want to go too.yep,that one is just rite.good info on the set up..i'll member that one.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Thanks for getting back to us on the pump. This is GREAT information.

Truly a nice Street Rod too !!

454 RATTLER
Old 01-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

Agreed! That is one fine ride!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

Here's a link to a lot of info in regards to GM pump Flow and Pressures

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...truck-etc.html

Ken

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.