Mustang II upper A-arm help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2003, 03:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Mustang II upper A-arm help

I've just completed the installation of a mustang II front end on my 34 kit. I have a question in regards to the upper A-arms. I have no engine or anythihng else installed yet, so there is no weight on the car. The front suspension is traveled fully down due to the lack of weight, and the upper arms look like they will not clear the front crossmember when compressed. The area I'm talking aboutis the spring perch. The top part where the upper A-arm mounts to. After I installed the coil, the upper A-arm moved down and actually moved down so far as to pass top of the spring perch. So it looks to me that when the car has the motor dropper into it..the upper a-arm will hit the top of the spring perch and not let the suspension move full travel. Should I losen the top control arm bolts and and let the a-arm move fully outward allowing clearance, or will it be okay once I get the motor and some weight on it? Any help would be appreciated. It looks like the upper a-arm will hit the top part of that spring perch by about 1/8 inch or so. Thanks again for the help.
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2003, 04:30 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Pilot, do you have the type spring cap that has elongated slots for alignment adjustments of the upper control arm? If so, the upper control arm should clear the cap, even with the retaining bolts are all the way inboard in the slots. If you think you have a problem, just remove the shock and spring and move the control arm up past the cap to ensure clearance. If you did this previously, then nothing has changed to make it hit!! After re-reading your post, it seems the control arm did move down past the cap and obviously did not hit.

Trees
Old 03-10-2003, 07:20 AM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

I'm not sure which control arms you have. If you have custom tubular A-arms there are no bump stops on 'em - your shocks are the upper and lower travel limits. With the shocks in place, the control arms will not contact the spring perches. Without the weight of the motor however, your fresh new springs will really put the upper shock bushings in a serious bind.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:22 AM

My front spring perches have the slots on them so it allows the bolts to slide back and forth. I left them relatively loose while putting the coils/shocks in. The bolts are all the way out (meaning closer to the outside of the car) and it still appears as though they will hit. I also have stock control arms. Not tubular. I guess the geometery will dictate that if it moved down, it should move back up. I just doesn't appear that it will happen. I am bolting in the motor/trans the first week in April,and will let you know what happens. Amazing..$14,000 for NO tech support from Street Beasts. Excellent kit, crappy customer service.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:12 PM

Welp, I found out what the problem was. They sent me the wrong shocks. The shocks are too long and do not compress the front suspension together like they are supposed to. After talking with a guy that builds these things for a living, and seeing the suspension setup my self and comparing parts, it's clear my front shocks were about 4 inches too long. They were obviously the wrong parts. Now I have a regular looking suspension with the front sitting lower than the rear like it's supposed to. Hope that may help anyone out who may encounter the same problem with a mustang II front end.

Dave

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.