Mustang/Maverick power steering - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang/Maverick power steering

Bought another 65 Mustang!

This thing has had the front suspension radically modified with incompatible parts. It has Granada spindles and disc brakes which is good but it has what appears to be a Maverick steering linkage which is not good, this required the steering box (also Maverick, to eliminate the long steering shaft the guy said) to be spaced 1/2" from the frame mounting point to get the pitman arm located in the original position. This will probably work ok since the idler arm and pitman arm are both at the proper angle and in proper relation to each other-here is the problem. The center link seems to be the right overall length but the inner tie rods are about 2" too long, not surprisingly bumpsteer is horrible because of this. Both of my other Mustangs now have R&P steering and the worn out orginal parts were scrapped so I don't have anything to compare with but from memory it looks like the Mustang power steering valve is the same as the Granada/Maverick but the book gives a different part no. It looks like the proper Mustang center link will (maybe? ) bolt up to the Maverick steering valve but I don't know what the difference is and I was wondering if anyone knows if this will work, to use the Mustang center link and outer tie rods with a Granada/Maverick steering valve.

Advertisement

Last edited by oldred; 11-03-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 10:50 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I would like to know the answer to this also. You have'nt an early MUST P/S drag link laying around?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

No I threw the dang thing away seems I am up to my ears in junk that I "might need someday" but never have any use for, that is until I throw it away.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Hmmm.

My 68 Torino was drum brakes and manual steering, which I converted to disc brakes and that same Bendix (shudder) style control valve and hydraulic cylinder style power steering.

The spindles, rotors, and steering linkage were all from a 70/71 Torino (IIRC) and were too wide to fit. I ordered tie-rod ends to fit by stud size and length.

The original manual steering gear was used --and it was what ... 9 turns lock-to-lock ? OK ... I'm exaggerating, but it was awful!

As far as control valves go ... they were ALL junk!
I seem to recall that there were only a couple of different ones, and that the only difference was in the hose fitting sizes and styles. Other than that, all of the internal parts (repair kit) were the same.

BTW ... IMHO ... IF you insist on keeping the Bendix system at all ... don't waste your time and money trying to overhaul one of those POS control valves ... just go buy a reman one. Those things will leak in places that you never even dreamed of ... so buying a reman one makes it someone else's problem (the remanufacturer's).

The bottom line to all of this is:
If I ever buy another old Ford with that style of PS ... the very first thing I would do is to remove it, saw it up into very small pieces in order to ensure that it never bothered anyone ... ever again ... and convert the car to Rack & Pinion!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
... and convert the car to Rack & Pinion!

That's what I did to the other two but I am out almost $4000 for steering kits already. I started out with the idea of a DIY R&P but a buddy of mine bought a Randalls Rack set-up and it worked so good, well I just thought that was the way to go. Since I bought this car I am selling one of the others and I doubt I will recover the cost of that set-up which IMO can be duplicated for a fraction of what they cost so I may just go that route. This system does not leak (yet) and the only problem is the mounting holes in the center link are spaced for the longer tie rods which like I said causes HORRIBLE bumpsteer! I have a complete Taurus R&P set-up from the first project that I did not use since I went with the other set-up but I may try that again if the geometry works out ok. It looks as if bumpsteer with the Taurus parts may be a problem and I sure would like to find some info on doing this but apparently it is not very popular even though it has been done.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.