Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (
-   -   Mustang power rack (

nitrus02 06-29-2011 10:51 PM

Mustang power rack
I am using a pinto suspension, a chevy power steering pump, and a 94 Mustang steering rack. I wanted to know if I need to use a volume reducer in the newer mustang rack?

I've read post saying that you need to use one on mustang 2 rack but nothing on newer racks.

The reason for using the 94 rack is because it was free and it was wider so I didn't need to expend it to work. Just need to know I need a volume reducer?


slow4dr 06-30-2011 01:15 PM

Yes, you will need to reduce the pressure. Free isn't always a good thing, if the geometry isn't right your safety will be compromised.


nitrus02 06-30-2011 05:17 PM

The rack works perfectly in the truck just needed to know if I need to reduce the pressure before I do any damage to the seals. I'm always concerned with safety the main reason for using it is because its the perfect size.

nitrus02 06-30-2011 05:42 PM

What reducer should I use? Do you have a part#? I have a 1982 chevy 350.

slow4dr 07-01-2011 09:13 AM

I would run the adjustable one that Heidt's sells.


Cape Cod Bob 07-01-2011 08:32 PM

I tried shims and some have good luck but mine is still to loose so if I were you I would go with the reducer.

tomslik 07-02-2011 08:59 AM

guys, volume and pressure are 2 different things...

Cape Cod Bob 07-02-2011 08:11 PM


Originally Posted by tomslik
guys, volume and pressure are 2 different things...

Absolu :welcome: tly correct. And how does that knowledge help answer his question. Please explain, Bob.

tomslik 07-02-2011 08:33 PM

well, is he trying to reduce pressure OR volume?

my GUESS would be pressure but i could be wrong

if it's pressure, don't get to excited, i've ran my MII rack (used) for many miles with a run-of-the-mill gm (not for r&p) pump.

if you're REALLY worried, grap a pump off an early omni (remember those POS?) or a mopar FWD wih a saginaw pump and use it....

some of you guys really make stuff complicated.... :rolleyes:

Cape Cod Bob 07-02-2011 09:17 PM

After rereading the original post I see he refers to volumn. I'm pretty sure he means pressure as the gm pump puts out I think over 1000 lbs. pressure and the MII rack needs less around 8-900 lbs . Don't qoute me on exact #'s. A search on this forum will turn up a lot of info as this has been discussed many times. :welcome:

aosborn 07-02-2011 11:36 PM

Typically to be very effective you need to reduce volume and pressure. I use the P/S valve for the same pump from a 4 cylinder car, it has a small orifice. Then adjust the shim pack to reduce spring pressure. That is the inexpensive way to go.


pnt4u2 07-26-2011 02:21 PM

Flow Control valve needed
What is needed to connect a GM p/s pump, rated at 3gpm, to a Mustang II rack, using 2 gpm, is a flow control valve. Speedway Motors has them, under $20, when I bought mine. It screws into the back of the p/s pump, replacing the control valve already in use. I have a the same set up and it cured my problem. Problem known as the "twitch" commonly caused by mating a GM pump to a Ford rack.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.