Mustang seats - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 03:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang seats

My youngest boy has a 2001 mustang with about 20,000 miles and the driver seat is looking kinda crappy. I was going to surprise him for his birthday and buy a seat cover kit or last resort give him money to have redone.
I sneaked these pictures when he was over this weekend not great as he had top down in the sun.

Can I buy seat kits form dealer, suppliers or do you take this to an interior place and they make.

Would like to be surprise but no way I have access to car, so would really like to buy the covers and give him money to have installed.

Also do you buy passenger side to match? No one rides in this car so passenger side is perfect.

Thanks
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3seats 002.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	6563   Click image for larger version

Name:	2seats 001.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	6564   Click image for larger version

Name:	1seats 003.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	6565  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

Well I dont remember EXACTLY which year they stopped doing it but recovering these seats MAY be a problem. Lear seating made these seats and used a process called SURE-BONDING. The process in essence glues the cover to the foam pad. On the cloth the whole surface was glued down on the leather seats the vertical seams next to the insert and the line under the logo was glued. This has since been stopped as the cost of scrap in production got out of hand.

The dealer can tell you for sure. If they are not sure bonded you can replace them yourself, if bonded push a harder about the wrinkles at the back corners and your dismay with the appeance of the seats in a Ford flagship product.

Yes the covers are still available at the dealer and you can put them on yourself. There is a thread I wrote in here somewhere on exactly how, just read it and follow the steps. Dont let it scare you off I put some humor in it. Just take your time.

The covers are a bit pricy but they will match exactly. A back is about 300 bucks, cushion is about 210. That is a typical parts mark up.

I would first bring it in and elude that you are very unhappy and ask about the quality of the leather in your car (20,000 I believe is still in warrenty, I dont know if you are the first owner or the specifics but definately bring it to a dealer!) and why did the leather wear so bad on the driver seat, the leather is cracked on the insert from what I can see and it is the better for you, its called a top grain failure and is a warrenty failure.

If you approach the dealer with the right attitude you may be able to get a new cover set at least or a deal on the cover, at least a discount may be worked out.

Last edited by creativeinteriors; 08-23-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help! Will check with dealer when back next week.

Me do it! You got to be nuts.

This kid is so anal about this car when he got a chip on deck lid he took it off the car for me to paint (would not leave car at my house), I Have been painting since 71 and I was scared to death I could not get the deck lid to his liking. It worked out but it aged me, I kid you not.

He has had car since new but I know the warranty is expired.

Thanks again.
Barry
Old 08-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

If you act like you KNOW its expired the dealer will shut you right down.

Go in like its only got 20,000 on it and its 4 years old and saying things like "I cant believe this is acceptable wear, isn't leather is supposed to wear better than that for the price up the kid paid?" Say things like if this is normal we will never buy a leather interior FORD again. Ask to talk to a regional rep if you are losing ground, and tell them you are upset and need to understand what the deal is. Talk as if it is OBVIOUSLY defective as the other seats look nothing like the leather on the driver and you want a second opinion.

Its a poker game at times Barry dont show your hand before you have to.

Good Luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

I can't thank you enough for the free advice.
Will do!
Barry
Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Barry,

Whats the update, how well did you do at the dealers, what decision and direction did you go?

Dutch
Old 08-29-2005, 04:16 AM

Last photo:

Just got back in town last night, got to figure out how to get car from kid first. Thinking hard.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:10 AM

Last photo:

Are the seats torn or defective in any way? Any seams coming apart? My wife's '97 Stang showed some wear and looked a little grimy when she got it. All the seams were good, but the seat showed some wear and wrinkling from getting in and out of the car. I just used a quality leather cleaner and restorer on the seats and they held up real good! Good luck, and if the dealer doesn't buy it, try what I used, http://www.mothers.com/products/products.html. Just hit "interior care" under the Classic Line heading and the leather care products will pop up.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.