Mustang "Sound" - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 PM
DarknessSpawned's Avatar
God Of Lightning
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clear Water, FL
Posts: 97
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want mustang sound... the FIRST thing you want to do is get
a 4-7 Swap cam, Definatly run an X pipe..... Youre most of the way there at that point. + Chambered mufflers.....=

    Advertisement

Last edited by DarknessSpawned; 01-02-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 5
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
That sounds great to me!
Thx......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 PM
DarknessSpawned's Avatar
God Of Lightning
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clear Water, FL
Posts: 97
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrocks
Well here is my setup. Might be sorta what your after. Its a 2v 4.6L (big bored to a 304ci 5.0L), worked heads, 262 comp cams, Eaton SC.

JBA shorty's, true dual 2.5'' headers back, H pipe, two Flowmaster Super 40's, 2 18'' glass packs after flowmasters, no cats:

http://media.putfile.com/AWDROCKS-H-Pipe-88

Since then im now running an X pipe. Made the sound crisper and more "exotic".
Thats really interesting to me. Is there any under pics of it??
Makes me really want to try that on my 355 s10, with a comp xe268
vortec motor.... But just not sure if it would sound much better
than straight super 44's....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 5
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessSpawned
Thats really interesting to me. Is there any under pics of it??
Makes me really want to try that on my 355 s10, with a comp xe268
vortec motor.... But just not sure if it would sound much better
than straight super 44's....
Yes sir! Here you go:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 5
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exterior:



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 PM
redlightning's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TN
Age: 50
Posts: 1,082
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrocks
Well here is my setup. Might be sorta what your after. Its a 2v 4.6L (big bored to a 304ci 5.0L), worked heads, 262 comp cams, Eaton SC.

JBA shorty's, true dual 2.5'' headers back, H pipe, two Flowmaster Super 40's, 2 18'' glass packs after flowmasters, no cats:

http://media.putfile.com/AWDROCKS-H-Pipe-88

Since then im now running an X pipe. Made the sound crisper and more "exotic".

Wow,sounds like Angus Young!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 5
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightning
Wow,sounds like Angus Young!
LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,172
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessSpawned
If you want mustang sound... the FIRST thing you want to do is get
a 4-7 Swap cam, Definatly run an X pipe..... Youre most of the way there at that point. + Chambered mufflers.....=
ALL dual plane crankshaft V8s, regardless of firing order,
each bank has exhaust pulses of 90-180-270-180-back to 90. (Draw it out and look at it.)

X pipes blend the pressure pulses and each exhaust pipe sounds like 8, sort of, almost like a Y pipe into a single exhaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,172
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by labreejr

I love the sound of the SRT-8 Chargers, 300C's & Cherokee's. So thats the sound I was aiming for.
All the OEMs have worked extensively to get the factory sound "right".

Try the new HEMI with the Magnaflow cat back system.
We have installed several of them. Much better sound than the factory without harshness. But $$$.
Also installed a couple Corvette Magnaflow systems.
Anybody want to buy several factory stock systems? lol

I prefer the Magnaflow sound on everything, and they are straight through mufflers, no baffles, or delta Vs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 PM
whinny's Avatar
66 mustang
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: new zealand
Age: 57
Posts: 241
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
evryone i know

loves the sound of my stang, i manufactured and installed my own system, twin pipes with an equaliser up front and 2 cooper mufflers(bullets in ur lingo) around 20 inch from memory and oval as opposed to round.Rumble makes my hairs stand up,and there aint many of them left, hehe
russ
ps i used to instal exhaust systems for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 AM
DarknessSpawned's Avatar
God Of Lightning
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clear Water, FL
Posts: 97
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoTFrenzel
ALL dual plane crankshaft V8s, regardless of firing order,
each bank has exhaust pulses of 90-180-270-180-back to 90. (Draw it out and look at it.)

X pipes blend the pressure pulses and each exhaust pipe sounds like 8, sort of, almost like a Y pipe into a single exhaust.

Same motor and exhaust just one with 4-7 swap cam.
They will sound different. Want to sound like a ford
why not start with the firing order. Not to mention
like maybe a 5hp gain with the swap cam

Oh well just one of those things where its gonna be
a different opinion sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 AM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 9,484
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 388 Times in 364 Posts
It'll never sound like a Ford. Thank God! You cannot take two different engines and expect them to sound the same. Even if you have the same short block, cam, intake, headers, and exhaust system even a different set of heads will affect the sound. Don't believe me? Talk to a guy that has swapped Vortec's inplace of old swirl port heads. Big difference!

If you really need that exact sound then you're going to need to buy that car. Even exhaust pipe lengths affect the sound so putting a Corvette engine in a s10 will not leave the truck sounding exactly like a corvette.

I know a lot of people are all show and no go, and that's fine if that's your thing but you have to alteast partially understand that exhaust sound is not like paint- you can't just spray a Ford sound on like you can with paint.

It'll never be a perfect match. Nor should it. Appreciate each invidual sound for what it is. It doesn't matter if its a Briggs 5hp, a CAT D9, or a chevy 305... well maybe not a 305... still appreciate each machine for what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,172
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessSpawned
Same motor and exhaust just one with 4-7 swap cam.
They will sound different. Want to sound like a ford
why not start with the firing order. Not to mention
like maybe a 5hp gain with the swap cam

Oh well just one of those things where its gonna be
a different opinion sometimes.
First AP72 you are correct

Darkness,
You are missing my point.
the 4-7 swap does not alter the pulse pattern coming from each bank of cylinders.
the 4-7 swap does not make a Chevy firing order (ignore numbering) into the same pattern as any Ford. It takes swapping 4 cylinders.

ALL dual plane crankshaft V8s have the same pulse pattern on each bank..
90-180-270-180- back to 90...... draw it out for yourself.

If you look carefully, you will see that a small block Chevy and a small block Ford have the identical firing orders and plug wire routing
AS YOU LOOK AT THE ENGINE. only the distributors rotate the opposite directions.

New Chevies, some Fords have different firing orders but the pulse pattern out of each bank is still the same.

Engines sound different due to:

compression ratio
cam timing (opening exhaust valve lets the pressure out, like a cork from a bottle)
exhaust manifold/header type

beyond that they are all similar except for exhaust system configuration.

I have seen more than a few "experts" say.. "that is a Chevy" etc. when it was NOT.

JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 9,484
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 388 Times in 364 Posts
While the firing order will not make a large difference it will still make a difference, not because the exhaust pulses are the same or sifferent but because it affects the air and fuel distribution. It all works together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 PM
DarknessSpawned's Avatar
God Of Lightning
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clear Water, FL
Posts: 97
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoTFrenzel
First AP72 you are correct

Darkness,
You are missing my point.
the 4-7 swap does not alter the pulse pattern coming from each bank of cylinders.
the 4-7 swap does not make a Chevy firing order (ignore numbering) into the same pattern as any Ford. It takes swapping 4 cylinders.

ALL dual plane crankshaft V8s have the same pulse pattern on each bank..
90-180-270-180- back to 90...... draw it out for yourself.

If you look carefully, you will see that a small block Chevy and a small block Ford have the identical firing orders and plug wire routing
AS YOU LOOK AT THE ENGINE. only the distributors rotate the opposite directions.

New Chevies, some Fords have different firing orders but the pulse pattern out of each bank is still the same.

Engines sound different due to:

compression ratio
cam timing (opening exhaust valve lets the pressure out, like a cork from a bottle)
exhaust manifold/header type

beyond that they are all similar except for exhaust system configuration.

I have seen more than a few "experts" say.. "that is a Chevy" etc. when it was NOT.

JMO
Alll good man. Its all good. I said 2 motors the exact same, only difference is cam so they would have same comp. ratios etc. etc, Was just saying the swap cam does add a slightly different finished product and We can agree to disagree I know what you are saying and Im not saying you are wrong but being ford does it, it would make since to do that if you wanted the sound from a mean 5.0 mustang it is one step closer to acheiving the right "mix"
and ive seen dyno sheets that show a smoother curve and small gains with the swap cam.

Theres a reason the LS motors have 4-7 swapped from the factory. I think its 2 and 3 that are also swapped. If it WAS all the SAME they would have left it alone. Or at least thats how I see it. Anyway I'll hopefully be doing an X or H pipe, havent decided on mufflers for the price the 30$ thrush chambered muffler sounds pretty spot on to a flow 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to properly mate a GM pump to a Mustang II rack Centerline Suspension - Brakes - Steering 73 10-31-2009 12:59 PM
1999 Mustang Project BIGK Hotrodding Basics 5 11-16-2007 06:12 PM
Will a 390 fit or work in a 73 Mustang..... onebadmerc Engine 4 12-08-2005 10:57 AM
04 mustang rust oldred Body - Exterior 3 07-19-2005 08:15 AM
Are Mustang II Crossmembers Safe? Jon Suspension - Brakes - Steering 14 10-17-2003 01:43 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.