Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - mustang stalling out of the blue
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
i Doubt it is a fuel issue unless it is the float. There is enough gas in the line on a carbed engine for it to run for a while.
Under most cases and most conditions you are correct. However, I have seen enough cases and conditions that go beyond most. Just one example; I had an old '54 Ford(Chevy 327 and the rear half of the truck it was part of) car hauler years ago. It was supposed to have been operable as the guy used it to take his car to "demo derbys", they were popular at the time, but I had problems every time I'd try and use it. It would idle all day long, but the minute you took it somewhere, or tried you wouldn't get more than a half block and it would die and take several minutes before starting again. I replaced the filter and pump and checked carb float levels, but it still did the same. I went into the tank as a last resort and had someone blow air through the lines..as they were doing it I could see through the sender hole a small bunch of what appeared to be corrosion being pushed back into the tank. I thought that it had set with a low tank long enough that it had accumulated some corrsion in the tank that had gotten pulled into the line and was restricting it. After it was all ejected, I took some long grabbers and pulled it from the tank...it was a piece of cloth that had apparently torn off when it was part of a larger wrag that had been used as a fuel cap. It worked great after that, but took a bunch of tracing to find it. The fuel was just passing enough to have a small amount of fuel that allowed it to idle, once the fuel demand increased and it couldn't draw enough the engine pulled the bowls dry and it would die. I guess that the fuel would be drawn through while it set, from the vacuum that was created by the pump, and eventually got another small layer of fuel into the carb and it would begin again.
The only more frustrating diagnosis I had was a T-bird ammeter.... if there is ever a problem in that area, I may expound on that .