mustang suspension mod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mustang suspension mod

Anyone familiar with the negative wedge camber kit for early(65) mustangs by pro-motosports engineering? I would really like to do something to correct the lousy factory steering and this sounds like it would help but the kit pictured in the NPD catalog shows a kit that appears to consist of nothing more than a metal template and new ball joints-for $254.95. I am willing to spend the money if the kit is worth it but I don't want to spend 250 bucks on a stock pair of ball joints, a 2"x3" piece of metal with 4 holes in it and a set of instructions. Am I overlooking something? Any suggestions on doing this mod? It seems like it should be quite simple to make the plates but I am sure that the location is critical and front-end alignment may use different specs.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 04:59 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This is called The Shelby Drop and the paper templates are available online. The top control arm is dropped 1" and moved slightly rearwards (mounting position on apron redrilled). All you need for the upper ball joint(s) (if they are good) is a wedge shim that will allow the joint shaft not to bind in the ball joint itself as you are changing stock geometry.

It allows for more negative camber on hard turns so as not to override the tires.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:32 PM
aka Duke of URL

-SHELBY DROP TEMPLATE-

You may not need the ball joint wedges as PRO-MOTORPSORTS is lowering their control arm by more than 1". If you perform this alteration, make sure you mount the arms and spindles (without the spring) and check for any upper ball bind throughout the control arm movement.

As we all know, Ball Bind can be most damaging and painful...
Old 07-19-2005, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

Kultulz-Ok, that looks like just what I needed to know. I can make that plate easy enough and I can even machine a set of wedge plates for the ball joints if needed to prevent ball bind.. but what about alignment? Do I still use the stock specs?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:02 AM
aka Duke of URL

Red,

You can use just the paper template to center punch the new mounting holes location. Or you can transfer the pattern onto a metal plate to make the modification more exact (say if you had a shop).

This Tech Article- will give you the settings and more ideas on how to speed up the steering and suspension.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

Thanks a bunch, that tech article has a lot of info and all the answers I was looking for. He pointed out what I had already assumed and that is that "kit" from NPD is just a new pair of ball joints and 5 bucks worth of metal plate with instructions that apparently can be found easily. I must have been living under a rock for the last few years, I had no idea that mod was so popular I knew it had been around about as long as the mustang but I thought it was a "high tech" deal that was for racing and required a lot of special parts. When I saw that kit I thought maybe it would be practical for a street machine and now I am finding that is not only simple to do but also quite common and since my suspension is all apart for rebuild I intend to do this.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 PM
aka Duke of URL

It has been a popular modification for years, once everyone figured out what SHELBY had done. FALCONS, COMETS even later FAIRLANES are prime candidates for it. You would be surprised what you can do with a few trips to a well stocked salvage yard...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.