mustang tach wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 08:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Arrow mustang tach wiring

Hi there, I'm a new guy on the board here. My name is Steve Gortsema and my project is an 89 Mustang GT. I also have a 92 LX 5.0 that I am using as a donor. My problem is that I'm trying to get a factory tach to work in the car and I seemed to have gotten in over my head. Here's the background . . .

When I purchased the car the factory tach was not working and it had a large AutoMeter tach installed on top of the dash which did work. I want to go to more of a factory look on the interior so I removed the aftermarket tach. I tried running a wire from the ignition coil to the tach signal wire going into the cluster. The tach still didn't work so I figured it was a bad tach.

The tach in my '92 Mustang worked fine and the cluster was in better shape so I decided to swap clusters. Unfortunately the cluster circuits are different between '89 and '92 so I had to rewire the connectors that go into the back of the cluster. I first did this on the '92 car to accept the '89 tach to test out my deciphering of the wiring changes. This seemed to work alright - everything except the tach works now on the '92 car (no different from when the '89 cluster was on the '89 car).

OK, next step was to rewire the connectors on the '89 car to accept the '92 cluster. However, when I tried it out, the tach doesn't work now. Here's the way I rescrambled the wires:

Horizontal Connector:
Connector Terminal/Wire(old connector terminal location)
--------------------------------------------------------------
1/x(not used)
2/5 of other connector
3/x
4/x
5/x
6/x
7/11
8/9
9/8
10/10
11/14
12/13 of other connector
13/13
14/6 of other connector

Vertical Connector:
Connector Terminal/Wire(old connector terminal location)
--------------------------------------------------------------

1/1
2/14
3/3
4/4
5/7
6/2 of other connector
7/4
8/10
9/8
10/x
11/11
12/x
13/14 of other connector
14/2

If anyone sees any errors with my rewiring, please point them out.

The next thing I tried was to hook up the tach circuit directly to the appropriate signals on the 89 car to see if I could get it to work that way (remember this tach worked fine in the 92 car). I connected the positive battery post to terminal location 4 on the vertical receptacle in the back of the cluster (passenger's side). I connected a ground wire to terminal location 9 on the horizontal receptacle in the cluster. Then I connected a wire from the coil (Dark Green/Yellow wire) to terminal location 11 on the vertical receptacle in the cluster. I tested it out this way and the tach still didn't work.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but the car has an MSD Blaster TFI coil. The AutoMeter tach was connected to the same DG/Y wire on the coil and worked fine though.

Any guiddance on how to fix this (besides buying a new 89 cluster and rewiring it back the way it started) would be much appreciated.

Thank you for hanging in there with this long note!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.