Hot Rod Forum banner

Mustang Transmission

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Terry Pankow 
#1 ·
My mustang has a 200ci straight6 engine in it, I bought a 289 with the transmission that it came with, will the transmission mounts already on my mustang work or do I need to buy different ones, and which ones would i need? thanks, steve

#3 ·
matt167 said:
I would reccomend putting anything further in 1 thread, to keep things simple. as I said in annother thread, your C4 automatic will not work with a V8, it's got the wrong bellhousing to work, you need a SBF C4 auto but the trans mount will work
Not entirely true, the trans will work, the bell housing wont,
you'll need a bell from a V8, which the tranny will bolt to, you
may need another torque converter, or at least an adapter
made to locate the present TC in the V8 crank...

K

#5 ·
bates_k said:
Not entirely true, the trans will work, the bell housing wont,
you'll need a bell from a V8, which the tranny will bolt to, you
may need another torque converter, or at least an adapter
made to locate the present TC in the V8 crank...

K
on the small 6 engines, the bell housing is not removable on the auto tranny's, but any 3.03 3spd manual will work with the right bellhousing because they are removable

#6 ·
Mustang Trans Match Up

To answer your original question, I have seen many a replacement of a 6Cyl. with a 289/351W. You failed to indicate the year of your Mustang.
Any area you may encounter a problem might in the clearance for the bell housing and the firewall. Later years 289s use a larger bell housing and may cause clearance issues.
The trans cross over shouldn't be any problem in regards to length. Ford used the same C-4 trans on 6 as they did on the 289 with the Mustang. The cross member is the same for all engines/trans combination.
You should use new motor and trans mounts for the 289 and its tranny like you would any rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.