mustang2 crossmember for 32 chev - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2002, 06:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post mustang2 crossmember for 32 chev

I have a 32 chevy truck and a stock must2 front crossmember ,my question is Id like to put my rack and pinion on the back side of my crossmember so my radiator will fit really nice.It looks like I'll have to install it backwords or is there another way.My calipers will then be in the front is that ok.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 07:35 PM

I don't know about putting the x-member in backwards, may mess up the geometry. (Anybody else out there tried this?) Maybe you could make some modifications to the sheet metal on the back of the x-member.

Putting the calipers on the front shouldn't be a problem. Fatman Fabrications Affordable IFS has them on that way. Problem comes with your stock M-II rack. If you mount it on the back you will steer opposite (turn the wheel left, you go right, etc.).

I think you could use a Dodge Omni rack, which is made to mount on the back and is about the right length.

Good luck with your project.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:50 PM

Don't put a Must II under your 32. First they look bad and second they don't fit because the fenders lay flat on top of the frame rails and the upper a-arm mounts interfere with the fenders. If you try to reverse the spindles and install the mopar rack the ackerman will be *** backward. The best thing to do is save your nickles for a while and buy a TCI or Heidts IFS with the rear steer track and coilover shocks. They have nice tubular a-arms and 11" brakes. They don't cost much more than a Must II type front end
Old 07-02-2002, 01:53 AM

Last photo:

ibuildm you must have eaten the wrong pills this morning, or you get 80% discount on heidts products...

but to answer your question... its NO you cannot mount it backwards ackermann angles will be all wrong, you will use tires like there was no tomorow and propably be utterly unable to controll the car at other than waking pace..

but you might have a chance of mounting a pair of heidts rear steer spindles and rack and pinion on your mustand II crossmember.. or its a deep grab in your pocket and spend the 2000 minimun a heidts costs. (in addition to the 300 of ro an oem mustang II costs, which i understand you have allready bought)
Old 07-30-2002, 06:03 AM

Duece 454,
Do you want a well engineered piece under your car that works well or do you just scab a Mopar rack on the back of a Must II unit and have mass bump steer? The Mopar rack has a much different distance between the inner tierod ends and will not work properly. Also what do you do about the upper a-arms coming through the fenders? I own a rod shop and have seen some real crap by so called backyard engineers. I am not calling you one but I say spend the money in the proper area and cut back on the mega watt amp for the stereo.
Tim
Old 07-30-2002, 06:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Hey now, what is a hot rod without a carload of bump steer? You guys with all those hi-tek suspensions are really spoiled!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.