mustang2 crossmember critique - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2005, 08:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mustang2 crossmember critique

please view attachment & give your opinion on the crossmember i built for my 33 dodge "humpback" panel. it is constructed of 3/16" plate, boxed on all sides. the lower control arm pivot bolt is 5/8"[all-thread is being used now for mockup]. the internal plug is 2 " o.d. , fully welded around circumference. the external plugs are 1 3/4" o.d. as per previous discussions, i am considering adding a top gusset in addition to the side gussets on the external plugs. thank you in advance for your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im000865 (small).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	3576  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2005, 10:30 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

It is kind of hard to tell anything. The photo doesn't show much, except it looks like the upper control arm will hit the frame when it travels down. You might try posting more photos showing more angles and details.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

what other views would be more appropriate for discussion ? the upper arm will hit at approximately 8" drop. i feel this is not a concern, as the coilovers only have a total of 3" of travel. i am thinking of mounting them @ 50%-55% of shaft showing[50% jounce/rebound- 55% jounce-45%rebound]. the mounting angle of the shocks give me approximately 7 1/2" total up & down movement at the wheels. will this be ok ? shocks are aldan eagle adjustables- 13 1/2" extended, 10 1/2" collapsed. mounting angle of shocks is 18* from vertical. lower control arms are level @ ride hight. upper arms have 3* anti-dive angle. the lower arms are 12 1/2" long from pivot point to lower bj. c/l. the upper arms are 8" from pivot point to bj. c/l. the front view swing arm length @ ride hight is 125". i do not know, at this time, the bump curve as the rack has not been mounted. the camber curve goes from +1/8*[at ride height] to -1.5* @ 4" jounce. i have 7.5* caster built in. these specs are with no shims in the upper pivot arm mounts. the upper pivot mounts can be rotated 180* to then start at a -2* camber[ which could be then shimmed to 0]. please advise which angles [pics] would be better to further this discussion. thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	im000866 (small).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	3593  
Old 01-10-2005, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You have been busy!!!. I can not tell by the pics if you have gussets on the top plate the upper arm attaches to. Is this the area you are contemplating adding gussets? If so I strongly recommend it. I like the gusset on the lower control arm mounting boss. Did you do all your calculations or did you Japanese engineer the Mustang II? Also, the rise you have on your cross member looks as though your nose is going to be in the air.

How about a close up birds eye view looking straight down on the upper control arm and a quartering rear drivers side view with the wheels turned right.

Trees
Old 01-10-2005, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the reply. as to the upper a arm mount , i have not finished this area with regards to gussets/boxing. also, the upper shock mounts have not been finalized yet. i am working on those now. i have some cardboard cut, and will transfer to plate & see if i accept the outcome. the crossmember has a rise to it because the front frame section has an 8" "z" in it. this will result in a very low stance. my calculations have been arrived at by some suspension books i have purchased, as well as inspecting 4 different mustang2 installations. i did not like some of ways the lower arms were attached, or the strengthening of the crossmember in these kits, this is why i used the 2" & 1 3/4" dia. material for the lower arm mounting plugs. i will take a couple of pics tomarrow of the views you suggest. the gusset i was refering to[adding] in the previous reply, was as is shown on the lower control arm mounting boss, but pointing upward[toward the upper control arm] in the middle of the crossmember. would this be an acceptable strength increase, or a waste of time ? thank you again for your assistance with my project.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

here is a view from the top. i got sidetracked & forgot to get a rear view. i'll get one tomarrow. tree, didn't you have a problem with a lower bolt shearing off ? was this caused by a cheap bolt , or no lube on the bolt inside the lower pivot plug inside the crossmember ? thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	im000871 (small).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	3611  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.