Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   mustang2 front end (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mustang2-front-end-176237.html)

djdijohn 04-13-2010 10:13 PM

mustang2 front end

i need help?, i have a chassies with a mustang front end, but something is wrong?the upper ball joint hits the spring tower, the top of the tires are way out from the bottom, about an inch,and no one seems to claim the front end? or will give me any help,the arms are polished stainless and it did not come out of a back yard, way to nice for that, but it has never been on the road, i suspect that the front end is the reason, i sent pictures to fatman, but no help, also to heidts, they were more helpful, but i still have the prob. i'm not smart enough to start moving the arms, or making the bottom ones longer, that would fix the prob., but don't have a clue how bad ti would screw up the gem. any one have any ideas? or a drawing showing the dimensions, it is a 35- 40 ford frame thanks don...email is djdijohn@aol.com

454 Rattler 04-14-2010 07:28 AM

Hi Don.

I can't help you but, I wanted to welcome you to Hotrodders .com.

I'm sure someone around here can and will help soon.

454 RATTLER

454 Rattler 04-14-2010 09:18 PM

Well Don, I'm shocked that no-one has posted a reply to your problem.

Some of these guys are really good at this stuff. Maybe they all went on vacation or something.

You could always reword the question and post it up again.

Good Luck !

454 RATTLER

66GMC 04-14-2010 10:43 PM

http://www.littlejoesrodshop.com/heidts/page18.jpg

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words.

Can I suggest that you take some of your own setup so that other readers can see what you're talking about?

bentwings 04-15-2010 02:55 AM

It's entirely possible that you have a mis matched set. There are standard length and the narrowed length. they are only about 5/8 inch difference but they could really mess things up. I don't have dimentions but with normal adjustments you should be able to get the camber dead 0 straight up and down. I can't remember what the real spec is but I'm about 1 deg slanted in at the top. Negative camber.

I had to lengthen the upper a-arm slots about 1 inch to get the adjustment right.

boatbob2 04-15-2010 08:35 AM

Mustang 2 IFS

HI,your problem is that the person who installed the IFS,didnt read the directions.IF,you look at the directions,,,from center of the shock hole to center of the other shock hole should be EXACTLY 36 inches. (FATMAN IFS) if its not that dimension,your towers are sticking out too far. thats why your ball joints are hitting shock tower.if you look at the rear side of towers,you will notice where the tower MUST be trimmed to get that 36 inches. IF,you have a fatman IFS,contact them and buy new spring towers,its way too much trouble to try to use the old ones. the new shock towers are ABOUT $200.00 there can be as much as a 1 inch difference in chassis measurements from the same car company,thats why you have to trim towers to fit. after you get the new towers,measure 10 times and trim to get that 36 inch. shock tower MUST BE LEVEL side to side.MAKE SURE chassis is level side to side,BEFORE you start. then TACK good,try to install upper A arms (with tires,then you should be able to get the correct inclination. have fun..its really not a hard job,but its a long job to do it correctly........IM in Ocala,Fla,Where are you??????? if youre close,i can show you what im talking about. BY THE WAY GUYS,,,its time for you all TO MAKE A DONATION,,,to the STREET BEASTS DEFENSE FUND.

djdijohn 04-15-2010 12:48 PM

i'll ck. it

hey boatbob thanks for the info, i'm going to ck. it out, and yes i am sort of close, inverness, thanks again for the help..........don my email is djdijohn@aol.com

djdijohn 04-15-2010 12:54 PM

picture

hey 66gmc, i tried to post a picture, but it was to large of file, and i don't know how to make it smaller, thats what happens when u get old ;) , gonna be 75 soon, thanks for the help...........don

djdijohn 04-15-2010 02:14 PM

36"

hey boatbob2, good thought, just measured the shock towers, center to center...................................... 36 inches, any other thoughts?? thanks again......don ps.drop me an email and i'll send u pictures

66GMC 04-15-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djdijohn
hey 66gmc, i tried to post a picture, but it was to large of file, and i don't know how to make it smaller, thats what happens when u get old ;) , gonna be 75 soon, thanks for the help...........don

IF you are running Windows XP:

Microsoft has a (free) downloadable utility called "Image Resizer" which is available seperately or as part of the "PowerToys" collection of utilities.

It's incredibly easy to use. Locate the image(s) that you want to resize. Click on the image to select it (or Ctrl + Click to select more than one file) then Right-Click and select "Resize Picture(s)"

As far as being 75 goes, I hope that I'm still able to enjoy this hobby by that age! Good for you!

bentwings 04-15-2010 03:49 PM

I'm on the way over to the shop so I'll try and measure mine and post late tonight.

djdijohn 04-15-2010 07:03 PM

pictures

hi 66gmc, thanks for the advice, here are some pictures, (i hope) have a good one............don

djdijohn 04-15-2010 07:08 PM

pictures

3 Attachment(s)
hummm, i don't see any?

djdijohn 04-15-2010 07:15 PM

later

thanks bentwings, i need all the help i can get,lol.................don

aosborn 04-15-2010 08:20 PM

From what I can see there is no way those upper control arms can work with the top hats that are installed. Even if the hats were mounted more inboard and the a arms were adjusted toward the outboard end of the slots, it looks like they would still hit, or be very close. There doesn't appear to be much of any anti-dive built in either.

Andy