My 1971 Chevy C-10 "Infinite Dreams" - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The Heart

g.m. part #12530283
vortec350 4 bolt main dual roller timing chain,
ramjet cam and roller rockers (1.6)
should get 325-335hp out of it..

even came with a nice #

good thing it's going in a '71

intake

750 carb rebuild

Advertisement

Last edited by gearheadslife; 06-03-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Can't leave well enough alone

So, a few weeks ago before I got sick again
I wanted to start on the engine but my el cheapo engine stand is a 3 wheeler 2 in back one in front. after almost dropping a big block twice on this I figured I should get a little better at welding, and why not test it on a stand that only have 500 lb's on it. gotta learn somehow
so I got some 2.5" 1/4 tube and some casters and went at it .

here are the valvecovers that should clear the roller rockers, SHOULD

I didn't want the engine black and I didn't think painting it yellow would be a good idea incase I deside to change the body color so I got some vht gray iron paint and tested it on the new waterpump to see if I liked the color/outcome

As you can see it's more a gray/green color, looks like something the Army would use..

the vortec 350 #12530283 and 82 have the mechanical fuel pump boss and it's drilled for the mounting bolts but not drilled for the pushrod.. May find a use for this
As I painted the block I only had 4 old plugs to put in the plug holes as I painted what a r.p.i.t.a. to paint one side ,unscrew plugs and install on other side every coat.. :grimace:

popped the pan and found a windage tray and all the rods with numbers on them in marker or wax pencil?? no idea what that's about

popped the timing cover and found the timing gear bolts with paint marks, my guess is for warranty work they mark them to know if anyones been in the engine. no other idea on why they have marks
the silver thing is the crank wheel for the crank sensor, if used

the vortec uses self alining rockers stamped steel or cast, not sure but they are out of here

this is the factory lifter spider that holds the lifter dogbones, only took photo so I remember to put it back with notch forward

This is the factory cam no idea what the blue ring or purple dot mean,maybe easier on the line to tell one cam from another
roller Camshaft-
◾Specs-◾Intake Lift- .414"
◾Exhaust Lift-.428"
◾Intake Duration @.050"- 191
◾Exhaust Duration @ .050-196
◾Lobe Centerline-111

Here is it's replacement the g.m. ramjet crate cam
Camshaft: Hydraulic Roller Tappet
Cam Lift: .460 Intake / .481 exhaust
Cam Duration @ .050: 196 deg. Intake / 206 deg. Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 109 Degree

I noticed the factory didn't use a locking plate on the timing bolts so I thought I'd use the one I had on hand for my big block , fail . the bolt pattern is different

Roller cams don't need this but I figure it's cheap insurance so I hit the lobes and bearings with some

Installing the new cam without a long bolt screwed in the timing gear bolt hole was a pain.

To use the ramjet cam and rockers(1.6 ) the push rod holes in head have to be a tad bigger than factory just for insurance, they say one drill size will do, but that was 29/64th and I need that for the q-jet throttle shaft bushing install so I went up 2 drill sizes, 2 down 14 more to go

the 96-2000 vortec 350 is good for 255hp stock
This engine consists of:
◾1986-2000 style block, 1pc rear seal 4 bolt mains -(No mechanical Fuel Pump Provision)
◾Nodular Iron Crankshaft
◾Powdered Metal Connecting Rods
◾Hypereutectic Pistons
◾9.4:1 Compression Ratio
◾Roller Camshaft-
◾Specs-◾Intake Lift- .414"
◾Exhaust Lift-.428"
◾Intake Duration @.050"- 191
◾Exhaust Duration @ .050-196
◾Lobe Centerline-111
◾Vortec Cylinder Heads- 64cc,1.94" intake,1.50" exhaust

buy adding/changing out the cam,rockers a good intake, carb, recurved distributor and headers they are good for honest 330-350hp.
People have already done this and dyno'd them , So even at 330 ish not to shabby for under 2500.oo
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

7-29 004 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
cleaned the timing cover and reinstalled it and new oil pan gasket, and reset the oil pick up depth

7-29 006 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
vortec factory springs, bye bye

7-29 005 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
new ls9 bee hives

7-29 010 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
g.m. hyd roller lifter part #

7-29 009 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
beehives installed

7-29 012 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
lifters installed with moly lube

7-29 013 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

roller rockers

7-29 015 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
used in the ramjet 350 crate engine 1.6%

made \/ :burn:

7-29 014 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr

7-29 016 by newenglandracefan@verizon.net, on Flickr
rockers on, waiting on balancer to freeze so I can install and turn engine over to set the pre load, and no one local has a crank socket..
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

Hey!

Hi "Infinite Dreams"! Man, just when you think you're the only schmuck in the world with "bad luck" you read about another. Sorry for the misfortunes with your truck. I enjoyed reading and seeing what you've done with it. I'm impressed, especially the gauges! I'm going to start by saying I had an accident in my "baby" a couple weeks ago. Kid made improper lane change and girl rear ended me. No one hurt, but truck to be in body shop for a couple months. Needless to say I'm bummed. I'll stop there with that. Anyway, a little about my build. I bought my '71 GMC longed in March of '96. A sunny, very cold and windy day and heavy snow on the ground here in Ohio. A mechanic friend of mine went with me. Drove it, liked it, gave $3,550 for it. Drove it a couple years with minor problems along the way. Without boring you with details (I could write a book, believe me!), Took it completely down to last nut and bolt. Had everything sand/bead blasted. Went through four body shops, had a cam go bad on first build during initial run in (probably due to lowered amount of zinc in oil). Very good mechanic friend of mine helped me put it back together. I, like you, have had some health issues. Forward to now. Facts: '71 GMC 1/2 ton long bed. 383 stroker, 357 hp, 429 lbs. torque (soon to get a big jump!). 350 turbo. Lowered with 2.5 in spindles in front, 4 in. springs in the back. 17 inch Billet Specialties Rival G wheels, 255/60's in front, 275/60's in rear. Paint is Jaguar Aegean Blue Mica. Silver ghost flames on hood. Interior is custom. Listen, I'm starting to ramble. I have a new 'puter (mac) and am still trying to learn this thing. Would love to show you some pics. I'm going to try now to find a pic to post.Will get back on later. Take care.

Tags
1971c-10, build, chevy, truck, vortec350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.