My 1971 Chevy C-10 "Infinite Dreams" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My 1971 Chevy C-10 "Infinite Dreams"

"Infinite Dreams"
To understand the name I'll have to take you back to MMI.
My first new vehicle a 1997 ford f-150 was totalled . Free'n up the 2nd car fund, and because I was a new home owner I desided to get a truck that was older so not to have payments,time went by and I figured because I had 3 chevelles I'd get an el camino of the same vintage and feed it with the part I'd be removing from the chevelle.
That went great for a little over a year,till I desided to wash it and let it dry on the front lawn. A landscaper was does the street and his boss was looking for a 70-72 el camino. and I came out from lunch to 3 guys all over my car. The normal "is it for sale started" and I said no. but he wouldn't let it go. so I thrown out 15k ,Figuring that end that. I got a knock on the door a few hours later with a guy with 15k cash in his hand asking if I had the title to the car. So, that ended that one.
I figured I'd buy another el camino maybe a 66 or 67 but good ones where not cheap even in 2002 . While roaming around on a new thing to me EBAY I saw that the 67-72 chevy trucks where about half the cost of the el camino. At the time my state tested every car for emissions. And tho. I really liked the 78-87 elcamino's . I had bought a g.m. crate engine 454ho for the 71 el camino to park the matching # 396(402). So the hunt for a 67-72 truck started. So, the begining of learning the hard way began. never EVER buy off ebay without looking at the vehicle in person,EVER.
So, I bid on a few got out bid on everything I bid on, as I was in no rush and had time to be a cheap SOB. I got an email that the high bidder walked and the truck was aval. if I still wanted it. I again learnt the hard way that ,question why a bidder walks. I buy it. and it took 3-4 months to get here as . "The plan" was I would meet the seller half way him from texas ,me from ma. That was a good sign that he'd drive it 1400 miles. so because getting time off from 3 jobs all at the same time wasn't happening, I had it shipped. The truck got here feb. 2003 and it was nice ,but not what I payed nice.. payed less than what they sell for up here but more than what it go for in texas. oh-well live and learn.
Drove it summer of 2003 with the plan of installing the crate454ho in the winter time. The truck got parked in the late fall 2003. and got lost in limbo, as I had to many vehicles and I was chasing a female that took up all the time.
Like everyone else time moves on as life gets in the way marrage/house/wife/family/home inprovements/etc and working 100+ hour weeks didn't help much. fast forward to 2010 nov. my beating myself into the ground workoholic lifestyle had finally caught up with me. out on medical leave for 6 months then again for 3 months and another 2.5 in 2011 . Caused me to have to sell the 3 chevelle,back hoe and other crap, to keep the house..
So now mid 2012 after desiding in 2011 to get my butt in gear and do some stuff for my self, like the truck and having to sell the chevelles I now had a 489 all new parts in basement and I figured I'd install it in my c-10.
Being stubborn late 2011 I took a 2nd job against doctors orders cause the wife was now out of work. only to fall flat on my face by nov.2012. that had me out off and on till jan 1st 2013. March 2013 the heater in house died taking the fund for the new roof. So..... I desided the 489 will wait or be sold off. and a vortec 350 crate with ramjet cam will have to do for now. Sold off the dart heads and bought the crate 350.
And that is the reasoning behind the name "Infinite dreams"
I'll be posting all the work done from 2010 to now tonight. more to come.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 02:09 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

DASH PANEL/kick panels,speakers

Here we have the standard ,well optional dash cluster for most 62 -72 g.m. trucks

I of course couldn't leave it alone so I cut holes in the lower four and the center for the ole time gauges

add some paint with optional fish eyes

autometer 2 1/16th" guages look like they are factory

almost finished with the hackery

installed yellow leds in place of white bulbs in gauges so it blend in to the yellow dash better
things I did wrong, the highbeam led under clock isn't centered under it.. (drill walked)

here is the wheel that will be used with the security system(grant)

and this is my 3 guage pod dash pad,,

these will get a shift light , an air/fuel meter or ?/ and tranny temp
and being a misic lover the stock mono dash speaker just aint gonna do it. so
I filled these with 6.5" seperates (tweeter in dash)

installed

speakers in doors, holes where there so had to full them, the kracko ones had seen better days

have rear corner speaker brackets on the way that the boston 3 way seperates will fill, after the fuel tank gets kicked to the curb
Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Seat/Fuel tank

the seat,, needs more foam under the bottom, but untill I find a nice better one, it'll do..

as said above the in cab tank is getting the boot, and this is going under the bed.. it's a 67-72 blazer tank.. bought in 2004, and installed in 2011
ya I suck.. today they have a better way.. custom tank $$$$$$$$$$ or a 69 camaro tank that the fill exit behind the plate, if I didn't already own this , thats what I'd do.. was gonna paint it red but then the truckwould look like mc d's
Old 05-31-2013, 02:11 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Make it handle

because I like to turn and not have the door handles on the road I high jacked this from a 3/4 ton 85 c-10 front sway bar..
the hot ticket for the rear is a late 80's iroc bar, still hunting the junkyards for that

clean rear arms with bushings burnt out..

new bushings
Old 05-31-2013, 02:16 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Pain in the rear

if only we had smell o net 40 y/o gear oil yummy

new track arm buchings and painted arm

it all buttoned up

it's a 12 bolt 3.08 gears one peg leg..

and here is what a 1971 12 bolt rear end with 3.08 open gear code looks like. pass side back of axle tube .

Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Praise the lowered

pick up's have a rake to them unloaded, and well, this more than likely will never see 1000 lb in bed again.. I wanted to level it out some..
drop springs are not all that much ,but the funds are awol
so.. for 22.76
I got this 2.5 by 2.5" 1/4" tube overkill yes

must add some holes..

done, if the open tube wissles I'll close one end

and well with this all apart I desided now was as good of time as any to replace the 3 u joints and carrier bearing, well the bearing was shot.. hehe

I have not looked to see what the truck had before I got it. it seemed a little lower than the "stock" ones I've seen at shows.So ,I'll find out if it has been lowered with springs(heated) or drop spindles later. but for now .Thats all folks
Old 05-31-2013, 02:38 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

The Starting Base,The Canvas

Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

other things that have been done but are not worthy of photos,,
greased everything, man they have zerks everywhere..
new front brakes, new rear brakes, new rear rubber line and driver side steel line as a hammer hit it..
new valvecover gaskets,(not yet installed..)
new tranny filter and gasket, input and output shaft seals,
new tranny mount.. new modulator valve,
air cleaner for q jet, reuse the one from my defunked 88 t/a
junkyard crawl, mid 80's dodge k car relay bracket(holds two relays) for use with headlights.. to take that load off the cab harness and switch.. and get a full 14.3 volts to the lights instead of the 11 they where getting..
new headlights with halo rings and h4 bulbs,, (not installed yet)

ordered today a new battery tray, door handles, as I welded one back together and it's on borrowed time, and a s/s fuel filler to install in the bed,,

and this is on my to do list, it's a warranty replacement jeef ele. fan and it fits nicely in the truck shroud
another cheap electric fan build! - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
Old 05-31-2013, 02:42 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

new rear shoes, that I installed in july2012
Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

well, it was 50* out today.. normally it's 0-20* so I hit the junkyards to see what if anything I could score..
first up was the powerbrake brackets and pushrods.. the booster and master are only saved for cores... I'd rebuild the master but it's got 40 years of rust..
Next was '86 van sidemarker lights.. the mid 70-88(maybe even newer) van side maker lights fit the 68-72 trucks and look better than even the69-72 deluxe side markers,, 2nd gen f body t/a markers and trim work with a little mods .. but the vans are flat and smooth..
The turn signal lights on my 71 are in the bumper.. these will get moved into the grill area.. the holes in the bumper will (hopefully) become fog lights..
if not the 88-up chevy trucks air dam (think 454SS or sport package) fit these trucks you just have to add brackets for the ends that angle back and out and have cut outs for fog lights..(these trucks had two types one airdam with use of tow hooks and one without tow hooks).. you want the latter..
so in this planning I looked at aftermarket fog lights..rectangle ..hella and piaa. make nice lights.. and are mighty proud of them.. (read $$$)
So, what to do.. 1997-2001 jeep cheroke (not grand) come with rectangle fog lights made down under found 2 sets.. and I'll have 2 and a spare.. ones broken.. three 10mm bolts hold them on. and even tho. there is a left and a right they are the same ,the bracket has a bent finger that is basicly there so they mount them in the right spot on the inner bumper on the jeep(not needed here) ..
Painless wiring is a great company.. but.. junkyards cheaper.. so I hit up a few late 80's mopar k car based(almost everything they made) and got the relays off the driverside strut tower.. the bracket holds 2 relays,, and some cars have a third that locks into the bracket.. and a single relay that is mopars fan relay..
why a fan relay,, I'm adding an electric fan.. now on the 67-72 trucks the fan shroud hole is a nice size.. so nice that a jeep electric fan fits the shroud.. like it was factory..
now if you can find one at a junkyard great.. but why bother.. here is the jeep part #CBG4F250, it's a recall replacement fan.. (meaning your local dealer might not sell it to you without a vin.. for the recall..) but this place does https://www.moparpart.com/oem-jeep-parts.html .. it's a whopping 59.00 .. there will be a write up when it gets here and I do the install.. cheap and easy 15hp.. between the fan the relays and the sender.. I'm into it for under 100.00 including shipping.. alot of g.m. cars/trucks have this sized opening in the fan shroud.. so.. this is a nice option.
There was a few other things, I was looking at,, console out of a 90's blazer.. and buckets seats out of the much hated pontiac astek.. might need wider colsole. I'll measure and then go back and see if this will work... thats all.. more to come..
Old 05-31-2013, 02:44 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

DASHED again

If you'll remember I took this

and after some work had this..

but as you can see the top three gauges don't quite fit the trim plate..
So , starting with this..

and this

marked out some measured rings

took the wood over to the drill press and with a half dozen hole saws.. cut out rings

so now to stain them as close as I can to match the walnut grant wheel

and a few coats of ploy

they are a little darker than the wheel, but are getting a little lighter as I add ploy coats..
have about three more coats..
it'll be close enough to the wheel for a homemade dash gauge panel
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Grill'n

felt well enough to play with truck..
changing out headlights for newer brighter lights, but not those blue, blind everyone lights..lol

had to make a few holes in the bucket for the halo and accent lighting..
after that, painted them..
then I got hit with the while I'm here,, so I desided to repaint the grill accents that are black.. but worn almost off..
taped them up..

Old 05-31-2013, 03:00 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

New Stuff,

Battery tray and the old on is falling down

With the blazer type tank under the bed you have to add a filler

Door handles, the originals had a habbit of letting the button fall into the door, tried to fix them but pot metal doesn't like to be welded and after a years was back dropp'n buttons

These are brackets that go into the cab corner area (after tank is removed) and will hold the speakers,and at some point when I replace the doors, it won't have so many in that small cab.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:02 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Wheels

wheels sandblasted and power coated...
might add yellow pin stripe to the rim lip to match the truck.
black chrome lug nuts..
the 92 up cop center caps.
4 are 8" 2 are 7"for spares.. or if the 8" are to wide in front...
Dad, had them done at his work,, THANKS DAD...
Old 05-31-2013, 03:04 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

THAT'S LiFE

Well the pipe dreams of putting the big block in this has come to an end..
at the moment the funds just are not there to do that correctly..
so change in plans
g.m. crate 350 vortec #12530283
good for 330-350 hp with headers/intake/cam and rockers..
so this and the ramjet350 cam and 1.6 rockers.. and all the other little nickle and dime crap.
will cost 2500.oo ish.. and with the sale of my big by huge dart 345 heads and gta wheels.. = 50.oo out of pocket and about what is left after the furnace taking a dump.. and really a new roof is more important than the big block with power I'd never hook in a pick up on the street..(overkill anyone) sadly that makes me sound old and wise, must stop that..
so just waiting on answers on the rockers and cam.. and will be ordering this soon (before wife tries to talk me into spending that cash on something) and summits free shipping untill the end of the month..
if the engine in the truck wasn't a 305 I'd just run that.. but NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..
will video that running so I can get something for that..
only issue is no fuel pump boss on this engine so electric is it.. lucky me I have a holly blue and reg from years ago that was never used.. installed but never used.. and adding a return line.. but that cake..
burn outs by june 1st or I suck, (health willing ) fail as tomorrow is june 1st

Tags
1971c-10, build, chevy, truck, vortec350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.