My 1988 S10 Build - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM
SB S10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
This forum is great and you are getting good help. Here is another forum that should tag with your book quite well. Lots of good pictures. I am disabled as well so I have much more time to figure out how to do something than I have the energy to do it. Here is the site.

V8S10.ORG Board index Swap Tech General Swap
im also a member there

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:

Im sorry fellers and gals, Ive been overwhelmed with "Life". It feels like its been 2 months since i've posted on here. Hopefully I am back on track and can get something done. I do have a dillemma though and need some direction on this S10 build. I have talked to my doctors and my P.T. about trying to drag race again and they all think its highly possible as my body is doing great with P.T., soooo, I am wanting to build me another Bracket car, or truck lol. I thought about buildin this S10 instead of puttin it back as a street truck but I hate to cut it up. I put it on CL the other morning as I think I have a deal worked on buyin 3 Chevy ll's to build one car out of. I have thought about savin everything I would remove so maybe I could put this S10 back as a street truck one day but I know in my heart it would never happen. Please dont unsubscribe from this build just yet as I may continue on with my original plan. Also, thanks for everybodys input and advice.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Nut2001 View Post
Im sorry fellers and gals, Ive been overwhelmed with "Life". It feels like its been 2 months since i've posted on here. Hopefully I am back on track and can get something done. I do have a dillemma though and need some direction on this S10 build. I have talked to my doctors and my P.T. about trying to drag race again and they all think its highly possible as my body is doing great with P.T., soooo, I am wanting to build me another Bracket car, or truck lol. I thought about buildin this S10 instead of puttin it back as a street truck but I hate to cut it up. I put it on CL the other morning as I think I have a deal worked on buyin 3 Chevy ll's to build one car out of. I have thought about savin everything I would remove so maybe I could put this S10 back as a street truck one day but I know in my heart it would never happen. Please dont unsubscribe from this build just yet as I may continue on with my original plan. Also, thanks for everybodys input and advice.
Well that was an easy enough decision. Im keepin my S10 and doin what I set out to do with it. After I get it finished and if my body is still doin good I will build me a bracket car. Sooo, please keep the advice coming, lol. I will be posting pictures in a day or two.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcast1411 View Post
Great to hear someone interested in building an S-10.

I built an 89 S-15 with a 383 with a killer edelbrock MPI system, 700R4 trans, FlowMaster super 40 dual exhaust with electronic exhaust cutouts. If you need any direction, feel free to ask... i will be glad to help.

I do recommend the set back mounts mentioned earlier. The JTR manual is interesting. They do show where to cut a small hole to access the motor mount bolts. after changing, weld flat steel over the cut area. I think the best idea (which I did) was eliminate the engine driven fan for a early 90's ford taurus fan. Better cfm's than the high performance racing fans and pretty much bolts up to the corvette radiator (also recommended and did). The corvette radiator is only (I think) 1 1/2 thick and provides plenty of cooling, even in OK paired with the taurus fan. This setup provided plenty of cooling without much radiator support mods. I did clip the top of the radiator support and weld some steel across.

Have fun!!
First off, Thank you for your advice. I have cut the hole and got the right side mount on. I plan on doing the left side wednesday and then spot weld a flat square piece of metal over each hole, in case I ever need to replace a frame mount I can just cut the spot welds. I will be going with an electric fan setup.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbuhg View Post
nice project there !!!! I have a 85 S10 extended cab myself and wanted to advise you that if your going with an auto trans.. to consider Mr. Gasket's tranny dipstick set~up... it's about half the price of a Lokar,even though that's what I have now... didn't find out till after I bought it of course !!! LOL !!!
Thanks alot feller, i'll pick one up thursday when I go to town as I plan on settin the motor and trans in one day next week.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickracer View Post
For more info than you can process at one, (or even several), sitting(s), check out v8s10.org. Most of us there would rather use the JTR manual as bird cage liner. A fan that works GREAT on S10 V-8 swaps is the 98 up 3.8 Chrysler Intrepid dual fan setup. If fits the stock 4.3 radiator like it was made for it, and also fits my 19x31 Be-Cool. There is a build thread on the above site in Member's Projects under the same screen name as here that has LOTS of pics and great ideas. I used my stock 4.3 serpentine setup and it works great. Another thing that many of us do with the serp setup is to use a late 80s Vette water pump and a Mercruiser W/P pulley for a LOT more room up front. My 93 shortbed has a 430 hp Vortec head 363 in it, with a 700R4 and a narrowed 3.73 posi Exploder 8.8 in it, Camaro LS brakes up front, and the Exploder rear discs. It's my daily driver, but it also goes high 7s in the 1/8, and tows my race car to boot,
Thank you, I will check into getting the Chrysler fan setup. I have looked around that site and there is a ton of info. I plan on the explorer rearend as well. Im not real sure which way Im going on the belt setup yet. What you built is exactly what I am attempting to build lol. Thanks again for the wealth of information.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

Sorry it's been a few weeks since I've posted any progress, been hangin out on s10racer. I changed my mind again, lol, but this time I'm stickin to it. I'm goin all out drag truck. I got a pretty good start on the front suspension, DJM drop spindles, Speedway tubular upper control arms w/new ball joints and new adjustable front drag shocks from Summit. I've got my front and mid motor plates on order and haven't decided on my front brake system, may just put new lines on and have the rotors turned and run the factory setup on the front for now. Here are some pictures with more to come
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1368360592
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	startof_dropspindle.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	684.4 KB
ID:	73961   Click image for larger version

Name:	controlarms_apart.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	716.5 KB
ID:	73962   Click image for larger version

Name:	left_front_apart.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	687.5 KB
ID:	73963   Click image for larger version

Name:	newdropspindles.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	650.0 KB
ID:	73964   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_crossmember.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	722.2 KB
ID:	73965  

Old 05-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

I got the frontend back together. I like the tubular upper control arms and also the adjustable drag shocks. I set them on 90/10. I'm thinkin about getting a pair of cross drilled rotors, definitely new brake hoses and may buy new light weight calipers. Here are a few pictures

Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

I started on the inside of the cab. My buddy needs the complete wiring harness for his 1929 truck so I'm tryin not to cut any wires. Got the steering column and some of the dash out

Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last photo:

Then, after giving my body a 24hr. break, got the rest of the dash and interior out along with the firewall cleaned up a little. Next I think I'm gonna set my motor and trans in where I want it and mark where to cut the firewall and trans tunnel, get that cut out, then mock my front and mid plates up so I can weld the mounting brackets. My goal is to set the motor/trans back a little for weight transfer and also be able to get to the trans bolts pretty easy in case I need to pull the trans by itself. Anyway, here is where I am now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.