my 307 build up w/possible Turbo (near future) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

my 307 build up w/possible Turbo (near future)

Okay I have a stock 307 (2brl)sbc in my 4 door 68 nova. The parts that I have now and will b putting on are :edelbrock aluminum dual plane intake, quadrajet 4brl. Only 2 parts 4 now but I am ordering a Howards 110951 cam .470/.470 and can't think of the heads I want to put on. So from you all I need a few insights and tips. I have someone with chevy 882 heads but can't figure out the combustion chamber on them. The chamber tht I'm looking for is around 58cc but can't find these type heads anywhere. Or at least some types of head tht will jump the compression up a bit or something. I've heard or 441 heads but don't kno much about them. The heads tht are on now. I will keep around and clean up a bit 2 drop the compression back down if I decide to buy this ak miller turbo setup(draw through)4rm this dude I kno. I just wanna ask n see wit ppl about good cam choices and about these heads I'm on a scavenger hunt 4. So chime in.

Ps. Dnt say nuffin 2 me about changin the block 2 a 350 or non of tht bs. I like my sleeper.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

That cam is too big for a low compression small cube motor with stock heads. 882 heads are rated a 76cc combustion chamber volume. You need to decide whether you're going to use forced induction or not before you go any further with your build. I suggest staying away from boost as you're going to pour more money into that 307 than it's worth.

I'd build it with 416 heads off a 305 H/O from an F-body or G-body car, or 081 heads off an F-body TPI car, even aluminum L98 heads from a TPI-era vette will work. Your current intake should bolt up to these heads. Ditch the cam you have picked out for something along the range of a Summit K1101. Full length headers and a free flowing exhaust will make most out of the combination. A good set of tires, new shocks, bushings and a gear ratio of 3.08-3.73 will make the most out of this combo. That's how I would do it if I had to.

I have to say though that you'd probably be better off just swapping in a better motor. Any gasoline V8 from a 96-01 GMT400 chevy truck will slide right in place of the 307 you have and already be a more powerful combination for cheaper than doing anything to the 307. That means you could even have a 305 if you're bent on being different by having an externally identical engine with less displacement. All you need is a vortec-specific intake manifold.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Well I see from another thread the quadrjet is a good carb tht won't over or under carb the motor which is good. I'm just tryna find out the rite type of cam 2 throw in this joint. I don't really wanna do the summit cam. But it looks like its jii the cheapest 4 the bang. What a little bit better cam 4 this motor since the stock joints go flat. Would a solid mechanical tappet or a roller cam b out of the question?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Hey what if tryna turbo charge this motor in the future what if I wanted 2 throw a m90 supercharger off a thunderbird onto the sbc. Anyone think this is possible.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpanther68
Would a solid mechanical tappet or a roller cam b out of the question?
If you're interested in a roller cam, once again I would advise buying a 96-01 5.0L vortec longblock. 305 cubic inches, comes with a roller cam and great heads - all stock.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.