My 32 plans keep changing..Input welcomed! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My 32 plans keep changing..Input welcomed!

I am going with the old late 50's hiboy style..or trying to.

As most other states, there is a mandatory fender law here. No, I have no knowledge of fenderless cars getting ticketed and forced to go through a full inspection, but I don't want the hassle of that possibility. If you get a nasty officer, he "can" require you to get a full inspection at the dreaded "main" inspection station, where no rod would ever be allowed on the road again ...or you may get lucky in only going to a satellite inspection station where it is not strict.

I was planning on bobbed original 32 rear fenders with the cycle fronts made from old spare tire covers just like was done back in the day.

I scored some great finds at a big swap yesterday

Original 32 fenders for a bargain price

Tire bands in different widths and diameters.

Look at the cool old striping...now that's classy

The weird thing is that the 41-48 Chevy tailights were bought in random pieces in the last few weeks at other swaps & ebay...and now I end up with fenders that originally HAD the same lights.

Well, I held up one fender to my car and I really like the curves of a full tail 32 fender, plus I just can't bear to hack up these survivors

So, I wonder if it would look stoopid with full rears and cycle fronts??....or should I just restore the rears and make the fronts, BUT just keep them on-hand in case I get stopped and need to go get inspected??

I know I must have seen some 32's done this way on the web, but I can't find the pics

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Just my opinion, but I don't think that the full rear fenders would look right with the cycle fronts.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Just my opinion, but I don't think that the full rear fenders would look right with the cycle fronts.

I'll second that but those rears are too nice to cut up. I always liked the "cycle" fenders done front and rear, gives it the open wheel look but keeps the Man off your tail. Just my $.02.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

No fenders but only if you have a straight axle. If its IFS use fenders, just my opinion. I do like the 48 tail lights, just move them.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I'm wrestling with the same kind of problem on my deuce. To go with bobbed rears and cycle fronts, or none at all, or removable units that can be bolted on or removed in a few minutes.

I agree with most of you about the rears. It just wouldn't look right with cycle fronts and full rears. However it would be a shame to hack up a nice survivor like that one.

On mine I'm thinking about using glass rears that I can bobb easily and with the proper fittings bolt on or remove in just a few minutes. Probably do the same thing with the cycle fronts. My only problem is that I'm not sure I like the bobbed rear fender look with the original deuce fuel tank and rear spreader bar. Probably won't make that decision till I can actually look at the car completely assembled.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

This may surprise you ... coming from me ... but go ahead and CUT THEM

They are JUST METAL ...

That's the first time I remember seeing 41/48 Chevy tail lights mounted on the fenders that way ... in my 30 plus years of Deuce Doins

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Thanks for the thoughts.

I was just talking to my 16 yr old son...he says no fenders and take a chance.

Here is my favorite stance; a car from north of Boston. Simple works well. Not a late 50s build style, but it just looks so good...and fun.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.