Hot Rod Forum banner

My 327 after 28 years with "Stock Rods "

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Hotrocks 
#1 ·
The last 10 years shifting between 7000 & 7500 with that 30/30 cam , all stock bottem end , well I guess stock rods don't last forever, # 4 rod out the side of pan saturday in burnout box 8/2/2014, they were the good 327 rods 1966 L-79. ARP bolts . Time to build 327 #2, They are great motors !! P.S can't belive they lasted this long. Gary M

#3 ·
I always ran the 327 X rods in my small journal, steel crank 331" engines ...... but first they were mag'd, beams polished, shot peened and resized with ARP bolts. Knock on wood, never windowed a block or pan. Great little engines, this is the last one I built but pulled it for this 507" Cadillac:D

Attachments

#6 ·
it's an MTS (Maximum Torque Specialties) single plane ..... and yes I know a single plane isn't the ideal intake for a street cruiser but I just couldn't pass up the WOW!! effect it had on me. Idled nice on the dyno after a hour hour cam break in session, then pulled 535 torque @ 4300 and 466 hp @ 5000. Ought to be fun in this.........

Attachments

#7 ·
Those Caddy's are always one of the 'overlooked' engines. It;'s great to see those kinda numbers from one.

How much is into it? Stock rods? Weight? How much was done to the heads?

FYI - I feel the same about Nailheads, but I think the Caddy's have them whipped for amazing torque numbers though.

#8 ·
You know I was looking for a 401/425 nailhead but just couldn't find one locally so I continued surfing and found a Cadillac website. I bought this engine and T400 for $300, it had been rebuilt with about 30k on it when it was pulled. I replaced everything except the pistons, the cyl. still had the cross hatch but I had the machine shop hot tank and kiss the bores with a hone and take .015 off the deck.

The crank was 10-10'd and polished and I purchased PEP ARP cap screw forged rods which I polished the beams and had them shot peened and resized. I started a pretty extensive home port job then had Pontiac 2.11/1.77 stainless valves and guides installed.We took .020 off the heads shooting for a compress ratio of 8.7 -8.8:1...then I finished the porting job by CAREFULLY blending the ports into the new seats.

The cam is an MTS 228/234 flat tappet and I used their shaft mounted roller rockers, push rods, intake, water and oil pump and a bunch of other stuff to make it more reliable. The carb is a Quick Fuel Tech 780 with a 1/2" 4 hole spacer, an MSD dist and Taylor wires. These Cadillac parts are kind of expensive but I sold my 331" sbc / 700R4 for $5300 and I have about $6700 in the Cad and totally rebuilt T400....not too bad considering.

Attachments

#9 ·
Sounds like you hit everything except making it roller. Very nice:)

To OP, sorry about hijacking. I started reading this because I just threw out a set of original 68 rods out of my son's 327 becuase I realized that there was no way I would use them or give them to anyone to use in any type of performance build because quality, low priced, aftermarket's are so cheap for SBC's.

I think it is pretty impressive though if you had a set last for as long as it did running 7K + rpm's. It just sucks that you turned it into a boat anchor. Well, were you lucky enough to save the head(s)?

#12 ·
So how bad did it hurt your motor?
Although large journal, the rods in my 307 were in its previous owners build. Was told he took it to 7,000+ "all the time". I had em shotpeened, new ARP bolts and resized. This build will see 7,000+ also. If the rods live I'll either buy new I-beams at next freshen up or "retire" the motor in an S-10 or something with a millder cam (and lower revs).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.