My 35 ford coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 06:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My 35 ford coupe

Hello,
I've just finished acquiring my 35 ford coupe. This car isn't a fiberglass or remake, i've surprisingly found a real vintage one(in pretty bad shape) I don't doubt my metal skills on fabricating and repairing all the body and chassis. I've been asked a good question by my father tho. ''Should i keep the original frame or get a frame from a mustang?''

Doubting the frame can handle a 350 engine i would need greatly modifying it. changing the brakes as it has its old brake system and everything.

What would you do in my particular case?

Now if i do decide on getting a mustang frame.. what do i do with all the real 35 ford coupe parts.. don't know if they are rare or not or if anyone is really looking for those parts. original brake system, got spoke wheels also from a model A that i'm for sure not keeping.

Sorry if some of these questions are stupid as i am quite new at playing around in cars. I've planned out a lot of what i want to do though i didn't do a schedule since i don't know what shape the car is exactly before stripping it.

thank you

david

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnulf
Hello,
I've just finished acquiring my 35 ford coupe. This car isn't a fiberglass or remake, i've surprisingly found a real vintage one(in pretty bad shape) I don't doubt my metal skills on fabricating and repairing all the body and chassis. I've been asked a good question by my father tho. ''Should i keep the original frame or get a frame from a mustang?''

thank you

david
I believe all the mustangs are unitized bodies, so there is no frame. But a lot of people use the mustang 11 front cross member and suspension by welding the cross member to your existing frame with some modifications. You would need some knowledge of suspension as this not and easy thing to set up right unless you know what you are doing. Hope this helps.
gcrmcc
Old 11-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Last photo:

Personally I think a hatchet job front end from a Mustang looks just like a hatchet job. The 35 frame can be strengthened to handle the HP, if it is fairly good shape to start with. It can be fully boxed and heavier cross members can be welded in. Most of the current early Ford street rods have new manufactured frames built along the lines of the original frame with added beef where needed. As far as scavenging a front end from a Mustang II, well it's up to you but I think they look like %$#%. I would spring for a tubular A arm front end from either Heidts, or Fatman. They look soooo much better than a junk yard front end from a Mustang II.

Just my 2
Vince
Old 11-02-2005, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for your fast reply,
The car is completely in great shape apart from surface rust. the frame itself is basicly the piece of the car that needs the least work(rust wise) thank you for the ideas.

Any ideas on what to do with the old brake system and things like that?
maybe a site where people really Restore the cars as they where?

David
Old 11-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Last photo:

As far as brakes, you will use whatever front end you decide to put on it. My 34 has a Heidts IFS with Ford 11" disc's with Willwood calipers. The rear is a Ford 9" with the same 11" rotors and Willwood calipers. I have a 67 Corvette master cylinder designed for 4 wheel manual disc brakes.

Vince
Old 11-03-2005, 05:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have a 36 Ford 5w, check out my journal for some pics of the frame. Stock frame, boxed, Mustang II rack and pinion. All the pieces came from Street Rod Engineering. Good luck. Dan
Old 11-03-2005, 08:14 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Gunnulf,

Nice to meet another '35 lover (I'm not sure how many of them there really are! ). You know, the '35-40 Frames are generally robust, and if your Frame is in good condition I would use it!

There are a lot of Front ends made (Heidt's, Fat Man come to mind), and you can put rear leaves, 4 bar, 4 link, triangulated 4 link, etc. under them, with kits made especially to fit your car-lots of choices out there.

I used an original Frame, with a Heidt's Superide II under the front, a Pete and Jakes 4 bar under the back and 4 wheel Wilwood Disc brakes. There are a lot less and more expensive ways to do it. Plan out what your want (really low, consider "C"ing the rear frame, wider tires, narrowing the rear, etc.).

Good luck and have fun with your project!

Craig
Old 11-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Last photo:

Good suggestion from 35Window. The ugly Mustang II front ends I am referring to are the ones that still retain the stamped steel lower control arms and use the strut rod. I have seen absolutely stunning street rods with this hideously ugly front end under them.

Vince

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.