my 350 engine combo questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 02:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

my 350 engine combo questions

I've been looking through engine combos on ryanscarpage.com and I think I found a combo that I like using the AFR 195cc heads that I'm getting here's the combo

Displacement- 350 cu. in
carburetor- Holley 600 cfm
intake- air flow research flopower RPM
camshaft- air flow research hydraulic, with 218/223 degree of duration @ 0.050 in. lift, and 0.460/0.470 in. lift
header- 1 5/8 in
comp. ratio- 9.0:1
max hp- 420@5000
max torque- 435@3800

ok now questions....for the carb I have a Holley street avenger 670 will this work also or do I have to get the 600 cfm?
and for the intake I have edelbrock performer intake will this work out with the combo or do I have to go with AFR Flopower?
and what other camshaft can I use other than the one stated in the combo? the carb and intake that I have now are new the guy that I brought the car from put that stuff on the same month I brought the car(he also provided receipt's at the time of the purchase) and work excellent right now.(I havent driven the car since october.. been laying out my plan)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Well, the combo looks pretty good. What's in the motor right now?
The reason I ask is because since you have a running motor already, you may just need a head and cam change to get that thing running a lot better. As for the ?'s about keeping the intake and carb, the intake should be fine for what you want, and also the carb, but just may need some minor adjusting.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:02 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Your 670 carb will work better than the 600 if you go with a bigger cam, so I would use it. I dont think the performer would allow the heads to perform to their full potential. If you get a new intake I would get a performer RPM air gap instead of AFRs Unless the airgap is way more expensive, in that case, just go with the AFR intake. The air gap is good for about 5-10 hp if you end up going that way. I think a different cam would be a good idea. I am not sure if you want a roller or a flat tappet, but I would look at something like the Comp Cams 286H (236 236 @.050, .490 .490 lift 2200-6200 RPM). This cam/ intake combo should put that motor at around 450 hp at around 6000 RPM. You will want at least a 2500-2800 stall with this setup. I would also recommend a set of 1.6 roller rockers to take advantage of the AFR heads.

Adam

Here is an article that shows the potential of the AFR heads. The final cam that they use to get the highest hp number is too big for a daily driver, but it is fun to see what those heads can do.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/4398/
Old 01-15-2004, 03:14 PM

the engine is good I have had no problems except the headers were glowing at one time but that was taken care of.

I was thinking about getting it rebuild just to be on the safe side and in the process do this engine combo. but before I rebuild I'm going to have it cleaned and checked and if all is well I'm just going to get AFR heads, and intake with a good cam and just ride tell the wheels fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by firestone
Your 670 carb will work better than the 600 if you go with a bigger cam, so I would use it. I dont think the performer would allow the heads to perform to their full potential. If you get a new intake I would get a performer RPM air gap instead of AFRs Unless the airgap is way more expensive, in that case, just go with the AFR intake. The air gap is good for about 5-10 hp if you end up going that way. I think a different cam would be a good idea. I am not sure if you want a roller or a flat tappet, but I would look at something like the Comp Cams 286H (236 236 @.050, .490 .490 lift 2200-6200 RPM). This cam/ intake combo should put that motor at around 450 hp at around 6000 RPM. You will want at least a 2500-2800 stall with this setup. I would also recommend a set of 1.6 roller rockers to take advantage of the AFR heads.

Adam

Here is an article that shows the potential of the AFR heads. The final cam that they use to get the highest hp number is too big for a daily driver, but it is fun to see what those heads can do.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/4398/
I want a roller cam..will that work better than a flat tappet?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

If the engine is running well, and not blowing any smoke, save the money on getting rebuilt until it finally does go. Just go for the heads and cam. As for wanting a roller, it will provide some more horses by loosing some friction, but go with a hydraulic setup instead of a solid.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

Very good advice above.

If you have the regular performer (not the RPM) then I would suggest a manifold change to an RPM (air gap or not, no big difference).

The cam doesn't look bad, you might want a little more cam, depending on what your plans are for the car(drag race, road race, just cruise, weekend toy). You didn't give enough information to make a suggestion (automatic or manual, what rear gears, do you have a stall converter, what kind of car, how much does it weigh).

What are your goals?

The carb you have is fine I would keep it.

The combo you posted is not really a secret recipe, any 350 with a set of good heads (like the AFR's) and a decent cam should make those numbers.

You have to decide where in the power band you want your power.

Keep the engine you have and add the heads and cam you will be right where you want to be. As long as the current engine is healthy (not using oil).

Royce
Old 01-16-2004, 10:53 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

If you wanted to go with a hyraulic roller, I would look at something along the lines of the Magnum 286HR ( 230 230 @.050, .560 .560 lift 2500-6000 powerband 2500 min stall) Again with this cam, I would recommend a set of 1.6 rockers. If you can afford it, a roller is the way to go. On top of reducing friction, roller cams last longer, and because of the nature of a roller lifter, you can run more lift with less duration, this creates a steep ramp in the cam lobe which is good, plus with AFR's flowing just as impressively at .600 lift as at .400 lift, this cam will be better suited to your heads because of the extra lift. If you were to run a set of 1.6 rockers, it would put the lift at right around .590, which is just about where the 195cc heads (which are the ones you would want) have their max flow. Keep in mind that a roller cam/lifter setup is going to cost around $550-$600 where as a flat tappet will cost around $180. I would think that with this setup, you should have a pretty easy 450hp and probably close to 450 tq. If you wanted a little more hp, you could go with a Magnum 304hr, but that cam would probably give your power acessories a hard time, and you would probably want at least a 3000 stall.

Adam

Last edited by firestone; 01-16-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:00 AM

it's a 1985 Monte Carlo SS TH350 tranny 3.73 posi rear 2400-2800 stall. I want a overdrive trans so I'm going to go wit a 700-R4, I have the posi unit and I orderd a richmond ring and pinion 3.73 thats going in after the tranny is ready.

my goal is to just have a fast street car....I'm not going to drive it everyday.

Quote:
Originally posted by firestone
If you wanted to go with a hyraulic roller, I would look at something along the lines of the Magnum 286HR ( 230 230 @.050, .560 .560 lift 2500-6000 powerband 2500 min stall) Again with this cam, I would recommend a set of 1.6 rockers. If you can afford it, a roller is the way to go. On top of reducing friction, roller cams last longer, and because of the nature of a roller lifter, you can run more lift with less duration, this creates a steep ramp in the cam lobe which is good, plus with AFR's flowing just as impressively at .600 lift as at .400 lift, this cam will be better suited to your heads because of the extra lift. If you were to run a set of 1.6 rockers, it would put the lift at right around .590, which is just about where the 195cc heads (which are the ones you would want) have their max flow. Keep in mind that a roller cam/lifter setup is going to cost around $550-$600 where as a flat tappet will cost around $180. I would think that with this setup, you should have a pretty easy 450hp and probably close to 450 tq.

Adam
thanks adam I had to print out that good info

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.