My 350 sbc parts chaser! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My 350 sbc parts chaser!

Ok, this is NOT hot rod stuff but it is sort of as its my parts chaser/push truck '79 GMC Van. Its been sitting in storage for 2 yrs and now fired and running ok, except, when it runs cold it runs a bit rough but stays on the bubble, BUT when it's slid into any gear it SLOWLY dies out. I can quickly get it into park/neutral & it recovers but its a bit scary when I'm trying to get across a freeway with guys coming at me at 110! I tried the usual stuff with the choke etc, & idle screws and the drivers side went all the way in with no change in the rpm, but the passenger side idle screw stalled the engine about 2 screws from home & I've not since been able to get it to run properly no matter what I do with ANY settings!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

First thing i'd do is get a can of spray carb cleaner with the plastic tubing. Remove the two idle screws and get the tube into the hole and give em a blast. Then on the top of the carb, look for the little holes on the top of the nozzle and shoot down them too. Do that a couple times then put the screws back in. GENTLY seat them and then back out 2 1/2 turns and see how it runs.

If that fails, get it running and while under the hood and holding the speed up, push the choke shut and open the throttle more. Let the choke go just before it loads up and dies. If anything is stuck in a passage somewhere, this almost always sucks it out.

Usually works every time for me.
Mark
Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
First thing i'd do is get a can of spray carb cleaner with the plastic tubing. Remove the two idle screws and get the tube into the hole and give em a blast. Then on the top of the carb, look for the little holes on the top of the nozzle and shoot down them too. Do that a couple times then put the screws back in. GENTLY seat them and then back out 2 1/2 turns and see how it runs.

If that fails, get it running and while under the hood and holding the speed up, push the choke shut and open the throttle more. Let the choke go just before it loads up and dies. If anything is stuck in a passage somewhere, this almost always sucks it out.

Usually works every time for me.
Mark
Thanks for the tips! I did everything you said but still have the same problem. Seems like every time I put load on it, it just fades away & dies. Picks up, slows down, etc.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

Hmmm,

How is the fuel pressure? Have you changed the fuel filter yet? Don't forget the filter at the inlet to the carb if it's a GM carb. They can't handle too much crap before clogging.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

What this guy said... I would do a fuel pressure test on the fuel filter. I ran into that same fuel starvation problem once. From your description, I would pop for a new fuel filter.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Yes, I eliminated the little paper filter that is at the Quadrajet entry and put a new inline filter onlong the line to the fuel pump, no change! Just wondering if its to do with any of the smog equip that is still on the van?? EGR? or any other?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.