My 350 Small Block Chevy. What do I have? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Am I off to a good start?
Yes. Good selection of parts for my SBC 8 36.36%
No, redo the whole thing... 0 0%
No, install the blown 454. 6 27.27%
Yes, keep the small block and sell me the blown 454. 8 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Frank the Tank

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My 350 Small Block Chevy. What do I have?

Hello all. I am just getting back into cars after a long time away. (Family) I have a 71 convertible Chevelle SS clone (wanna-be).
I just built a Small Block 350, balanced, TRW.100 L2304 pistons (.030 over) Comp 280 cam, Edelbrock performer 64cc aluminum heads, RPM air gap manifold, Thunder series 650 carb, roller tip rockers, B&M 20400 (2K Stall) converter. Is there a computer program or web site that will tell me what on earth I will end up with as far as HP? I am really curious as to what kind of performance I will have. I hear that I should run good gears with this cam, but what are good gears?

I also have a 454 sitting on an engine stand with a B&M blower\supercharger. I was going to install that but decided to do a quick rebuild on the small block. Anyone willing to tell me where to go for the small block info or knowing themselves, I would greatly appreciate their time emailing me. Thanks in advance
Mail to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2005, 01:48 AM

Desktop Dyno 2000

With all you listed I had to assume some things to complete the setup.
I assumed:
2.02 intake valves
1.60 exhaust valves
10.0 to 1 compression
small tube headers with Mufflers

I show:
372 HP @ 5000 and 5500 rpm
404 ft. lbs @ 4500 rpm

I know this program isn't quite exact especially since I had to assume alot but hope this gives you a good ball park figure to work with.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:07 PM

350 or 454

Hey good pick on the 350. With the 454 you would have to beef up the suspension, since its a big block. With the 350, don't use fuel injection. Use a carburetor. You get more horsepower, with more gas mileage. Use a K/N air filter for best performance. To make it sound good, Use A pair of Flowmasters, with 3 inch Bologna cut Dual Exhaust. You will get good performance with this motor. Use 373 Gear Ratio, for best performance. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:
With the 350, don't use fuel injection. Use a carburetor. You get more horsepower, with more gas mileage

this my friend is a myth. more hp? better gas milage w/a carb? i don't think so!
Old 10-18-2005, 01:32 PM

Screw You

What you think your bad. I can kick your ****ing ***. A carb does give you more horsepower. Fuel injection is new and robs you of horsepower, and what are you, using computer lingo like w/a. Your stupid. Piece of ****
Old 10-18-2005, 01:33 PM

I'm talking about jesse01
Old 10-18-2005, 02:02 PM
'68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman121492
What you think your bad. I can kick your ****ing ***. A carb does give you more horsepower. Fuel injection is new and robs you of horsepower, and what are you, using computer lingo like w/a. Your stupid. Piece of ****
Something's about the hit the fan and it's not whipped cream

Dude, you can state what you think, just because jesse says that it's a myth and all that does not give you a reason to get bent out of shape. We're all here to share opinions and discuss facts. This isn't second grade, calling people names and telling them you can beat them will not get you anywhere but banned.

Anyway, why did you decide to rebuild the 350 if you have a blown 454 on the stand? That's a pretty sweet looking 350 though, desktop dyno isn't the most accurate program but at least it gives you a ballpark figure. I think I'd use the blown 454 myself since that would be a real blast, but if you're going to be driving this daily, the 350 is more practical.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Sloe Lurner

Last journal entry: front boxing plates
Last photo:

I'd stay 350...

Nothing beats Cubic inches, but for streetability and cost the 350 is pretty hard to beat.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:34 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:

aww your so cute when your mad when you stomp your feet and throw your little hissy fit. somebody needs there nap nap

you talk a big game that your miles away. bring your *** to florida you puss

anyway show me a carb engine that makes 330hp while getting 29 mpg umm....thats right you can't

now shut your mouth and grow up joegirlly121492

p.s. moron "w/a" means "with a" thats not computer lingo you wannabe. if you had 1/2 a brain you'd know that cause thats common knowledge

oh and 1/2 means half just incase you didn't understand

geeze newbe's

and thats all i have to say about that
Old 10-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

F.I and Board ethics..

Quote:
Doc here,

Fuel Injection has been around since the mid 1950's...It is NOT new..What is Recent is EFI..Which has only been around since the 1980's Making it 25 years old..

Fuel Injection Runs More Efficient, Therefore Burns Fuel More Efficiently...The Net result being Better work output with less or more efficiently burned fuel, and lower emissions..(unburned Fuel)

Carbs are Inefficient, tend to burn more fuel and constantly require adjustment to keep it out of the lean/rich stage..Although they make a nice "Ring" When the secondary's open..

While it is perfectly fine in this medium to disagree with any topic or post, Which is what makes this form of information sharing a good and interesting method of sharing information with the community, It is not acceptable to resort to name calling another member of our large Community, Or Direct That Computer abbreviations are not the acceptable form of post..when they are perfectly acceptable. Unlike profanity, are not subject to the word filter.

Ten people Can read the very same post and determine 10 different answers to that post..Each answer is based on Skill level of the individual, available information, and personal experience..(What Worked for me...)

All ten answers may be in conflict with each other..and a discussion is begun...each stating their reasons AND Evidence for their answers..What makes this a good information source..even if all 10 answers are not totally correct, portions of those answers will be..And the reader can wade through the Chafe and walk away with an answer that is logical and best suited to HIS or HER personal experience..

While you are well within your rights to disagree with posted information, and present your reasons for the disagreement, you must do it in an acceptable format...Name calling is not one of them..neither is profanity directed at the individual (even if it is filtered out..read the TOS for forum use)

I understand we all get a little "excited" when it comes to voicing our opinions, especially when challenged, but you won't gain a thing by radical posting, in fact, you may find the majority of folk will simply put you on "Auto~Ignore" and never see your posts..

To Take part in a "Heated Discussion" and all sides conveying their knowledge makes a good thread...and gets a lot or reads...To radically post serves no useful purpose and has quite the opposite effect..and usually ends up with the thread getting deleted..

Doc
Old 10-18-2005, 06:42 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Well said Doc, well said.

I really dont understand what caused that guy to flip out like that. Jesse didnt say anything provocative.

Last edited by Blazin72; 10-18-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:07 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Hi Frank! I ran your combo with the best parts match I could. I used full rollers and a standard Holley 650 DP {in addition to KB's instead of TRW}. good looking #'s and a decent converter selection for a driver. The compression is rather high for pump gas [the heads were reduced to 64 cc on this, although it shows as 70cc in the parts list]. Pay special attention to the timing or be sure to run some 112 mix in a 1:3 ratio with pump gas.
Below is a chart of what was used. If you are looking to sell try BidWhale {.com}

-ps- Doc,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comp280.gif
Views:	2066
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	7394  

Last edited by NXS; 10-18-2005 at 08:01 PM. Reason: note about cc of head
Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 PM

need some popcorn...

this should be an interesting thread to watch....
Old 10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsane
this should be an interesting thread to watch....
I wouldn't have the patience, 13 year old Joe would be banned already.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:52 PM
mini me

Last photo:

my bad Joe, i shouldn't have called you a moron. infact i should've just ignored you, but i'm not going to let you cuss me out for no reason.

i was trying to let you know EFI gets more mpg with more hp unlike carb engines. thats all

everyone else sorry you had to see that, and Doc your absoultly right very well said

now what was this thread about again

J

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.