My 350 Is Still Using Oil Somewhere - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 07:58 AM
When Cool Meant Cubic Inches

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs down My 350 Is Still Using Oil Somewhere

Hi Everyone

I have a 350 Chev which has done about 1400 miles since a fresh rebuild. I have a problem with oil consumption. It seems to just keep on losing oil. I don't know if oil could be seeping into the combustion chamber through the intake gaskets, or if their is a ring problem. It doesn't blow visible smoke or anything through normal driving. But if I give it some from the traffic lights, I can see a swirly haze in other peoples headlights. I'll even leave it overnight to check the oil level, and it is lower and lower every day. It seems to lose oil at a slower rate if I take it easy load and revs. I've checked if the PCV is sucking oil, and it seems to be clean.

Should my rings be run in by now?

I used Castrol GTX 15w-40 mineral oil for the run-in to 500 miles, and now am using ULX-110 20w-50 (thicker oil for our Australian summer.)
Specs : flat top pistons, moly rings, .040" overbore, standard rocker covers and PCV System.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

It's blowing by your rings. Be patient, may take several thousand miles to stop sucking oil.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

In 1978 I purchased a new camaro w/350 . I was going through 2 - 3 quarts per month & with out being that noticeable through the exhaust .I was 1st told by the dealer that the engine is breaking in . After complaining to GM they took the car & found that the valve guide seals were never installed . 55Mole
Old 02-23-2004, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Very Much for your help, guys. I was just wondering Willys36, I was told by an engine builder that if the rings aren't bedded in as yet, that if it goes on for too many miles, they will never bed in, and oil use would be at a greater level.

Have you ever heard of or seen rings that don't bed in within a few thousand miles? Is it a common occurance?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Well, I have heard those horror stories too, but in my experience I have never had an engine (a dozen or so) that didn't eventually seat the rings within a few thousand miles. I just don't worry about it 'cause it has been my experience that it fixes itself. Admittedly I am just a hobbyist so maybe an engine builder type can chime in here.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:31 PM
How can it go faster?

Last journal entry: Been a long Winter
Last photo:

From my experience it seems that the valve guides will smoke when changing gears (manual trans). I would take it out to the freeway and get it up to high speed/rpm... Perhaps there is some sort of additive that could be added to the oil to stop the leak??? No leaks, right?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

My experience with valve guides is that when they are going south there is a big puff of blue smoke on startup that soon goes away, even if the engine isn't using a lot of oil. Rings don't do that, they smoke while running, but not necessarily on startup.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for their help.

What i'll do, is keep an eye on the oil level, and hopefully, it will come good after a few thousand miles.

Thank You
Old 02-24-2004, 11:54 AM
paints everything flat black

Last journal entry: September 2005 - Current
Last photo:

When you had the engine rebuilt, did you re-bore or re-hone the cylinders? what kind of stones did they use in the honing process? For plasma-moly coated ductile rings, you should have had a relatively smooth bore finish after the honing process.

Did you have your bores measured at various locations up and down the bore, to check for straightness? the bores could have been round at the top, but distorted towards the bottom of the stroke, and the rings might not be sealing. Anywhere the bore is out of circle, your rings won't touch the wall of the bore and you'll get oil blowing by. Do a compression leakdown test. Get an idea of how well your rings are sealing.

my 2 cents

the blonde weasel
san diego, CA
Old 02-24-2004, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

I agree. If it was just a rering job then you'd need rings of cast iron type that are cut for quick bedding in. We don't know what's been done inside your engine. Take a look at all your spark plugs and look for any abnormal deposits/oily build up/crust. It could be just one cylinder that's giving you the problems. I have access to a borascope that allows me to look inside engines which is real handy. In your case Id remove the carb and with the scope look at the intake valves for oil build up below the guides. In your case manifold removal is needed to view of course. I remember being told by some rough mechanics that the've sped up the ring bed in process by pouring small amounts of Bon-ami cleaning powder down the carb' while the engine's running! Now I did'nt tell you that and I'd certainly would not try something like that myself. I gather there's no warranty on the motor so you either need to be patient or look further into the problem.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:44 PM

oil loss

Small blk chevys have a problem sucking oil from bottom of intake, what kind of intake and what intake gasket did you use .
Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by club327
I remember being told by some rough mechanics that the've sped up the ring bed in process by pouring small amounts of Bon-ami cleaning powder down the carb' while the engine's running!
This used to be a service procedure! An older gentleman I know used to work at a Ford dealership in the early 60's, and that was what they were told to do! He also worked for Case/IH company as a mechanic/service manager for 16 years, and there were bulletins that recommended this as well. AFAIK, it is definitely not recommended anymore.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchevfreak
This used to be a service procedure! An older gentleman I know used to work at a Ford dealership in the early 60's, and that was what they were told to do! He also worked for Case/IH company as a mechanic/service manager for 16 years, and there were bulletins that recommended this as well. AFAIK, it is definitely not recommended anymore.

My Dad told me Chevy advised the GM Dealerships the same thing for oil usage (rings not seating) on the 1st 265 V8s in 1955 up, and it worked. I'm thinking I would not want to do it then or today, butt hey it's a true storie. and he said most don't and won't believe it today.....

Mustangsaly
Old 06-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Another 2 year OLD thread...

Wonder if he ever got it resolved and How?

Doc
Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Shoot! I didn't even look at the post date! Is it just me, or are a lot of these old posts getting bumped lately?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.