My 351W sbf 1405 tune-up data - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2009, 04:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My 351W sbf 1405 tune-up data

I have been running a Jasper Class II 351W 365HP version since 1999 and have it tuned up pretty nice.

I installed the Edelbrock performer intake and the 600 CFM 1405 carb. I opted for 600 cfm to maximize throttle response below 4000 rpm and improve economy (about 15mpg Hwy with 3.0 rear end). I am using Hedman 88650 headers (1 5/8” primaries and 2 1/2” dual exhaust with 2 1/2” H pipe). The hedman 88650 are a bit tricky to fit; you will need a good hammer and may need to modify the header flange or better yet get different headers.

Must control fuel boiling, percolation, evaporation and vapor lock (diaphragm pump application). Use a 1/8” thick fuel pump gasket and grind the shoulders off of the fuel pump bolts so you can slide short 3/8” tubes over end of bolts to minimize heat transfer from engine block to fuel pump. Use non metallic washers under metallic washers on fuel pump bolts. Install glass fuel filter at discharge of fuel pump so you can see when fuel is boiling at the pump. Use a 190F thermostat to minimize sludge build up in engine and to minimize engine wear. Engines wear out increasingly faster as temp drops below 190F (Source=wear data I saw years ago). Hope that your fresh tank of gas has a high boiling point; gas boiling points varies and I don't know how to get boilig point data for each gas station. Set up cooling system so engine temps stay around 190F all the time including hot stop and go traffic. I am using radiator designed for 1967 mustang GT with 390 big block. I use two independent electric fan systems to maintain about 200F in stop and go traffic. Install Edelbrock EDL-9266 0.3” heat isolation gasket under 1405 carb which helps minimize fuel vaporization in the carb bowl . Remove gasket between 1405 carb and metal air cleaner flange so the air cleaner can serve as a heat sink (not recommended for Dukes of Hazard). Minimize underhood temp by wrapping exhaust pipes post headers; the wrap may accelerate exhaust pipe wear. If you have the funds, use inside/outside ceramic coated headers; Personaly I don’t like to wrap headers as it accelerates wear and it takes up valuable space near plugs and header bolts.

My Edelbrock 1405 tune up data:

Connect Distributor vac advance to full time vacuum port in most applications.

Idle scew turned out CCW only 1 turn on my 351W. Be careful when opening the idle screws too much or the plugs may foul !

My Primariy jets are 0.104 with 75x37 rods. My secondary jets are 0.104. I arrived at these settings mainly with elementary plug readings; White plugs=lean, grey plugs=rich.

Please correct me if I am doing wrong. I set idle fuel ratio so plugs are very white post hot idle. I set primary jets/rods so throttle response is good and plugs are barely off white post intersate cruise. I set primary power mode by accelerating w/o activating 4BBL then verify plugs have a bit of brown/grey color. I set secondary jets so plugs get a little color (faint brown/grey) after activating 4 bbl a couple times then turning off engine and coasting to a stop.

Advertisement

Last edited by 001mustang; 05-26-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.