Hot Rod Forum banner

My 400 sbc survived the cam break-in!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SPEED MASTERS CC 
#1 · (Edited)
I broke in the cam with valvoline vr1 20-50w and a bottle of lucas break-in additive. I was sweating it big time! The cam is a flat tappet .575 lift 250 duration @ .05 on a 106 lsa. 11.7-1 comp. As soon as the engine fired I revved it to 3000 rpm. I fluctuated the rpm from 3000 to 2500 for 30 min. This a budget type motor. 200 cc heads, flat top claimer pistons, stock crank, eagle rods, msd ignition, dual edelbrock carbs.The more I work with the edelbrock carbs the more i like them... I ran the motor on 110 octane gas. We have about 30 guys in our car club that all use this form. Thanks for all the past help!

#6 ·
The carbs are 500 cfm (each). The intake is the old edelbrock c-26 (for looks). The linkage is progressive. I did not touch the carbs! They ran great for the break-in. (The engine was run on a break-in stand.) The block is filled with hard block to the side freeze plugs. It ran cool the whole time at 180 ish. The heads are world products sportsman 2's, I know they are sub-par head today, but I had these in stock and they were professionally pocket ported. This whole motor was done on a pretty tight budget and still cost a lot... The cam is from comp. It is a custom grind. The springs are from Howards: Dual type with 135 on the seat 285 open pressure. I ran these springs with comp stainless 1.6 rockers. This is my first complete motor build I did myself. I used a chevy Z-28 oil pump and matching pan with tray from G.M. I used arp fasteners on everything. I now want to convert the carbs to run on E-85. The only carb guy that I could find that does edelbrock conversions is in Minnesota at a cost of $300 each! Ouch! I cannot find kits or info on how to do the work myself... I was told the carbs are too small for this size engine, but they are what I had purchased from another club member for a great deal. So, I ran what I had" ... I am planning on putting on 1 inch carb spacers next. I have the break-in video from a smart phone that looks great, unfortunately I am currently not smart enough to know how get the video to post here. I sent it to my email, but that is as far as I got with it...

Again thanks to the everyone on the forum, your posted info helped a bunch. Most of the guys in our club did not think the engine combo would work as well as it does. I am pretty stoked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.