my 671 snout is too long? Blower pulley doesnt line up with crank pulley - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

my 671 snout is too long? Blower pulley doesnt line up with crank pulley

I bought this blower and just finished the motor and was ready to put it on and found the blower pulley doesnt even come close to lining up with the pulley on the crank of my sbc 350. Can somebody please explain to me what kind of blower I have, and what I would need to make this setup work? I know there are short and long snouts, but this one seems to be VERY long. I need the best drive option for my 67 camaro with power steering, mech water pump, and alternator.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

For used parts it is hard to beat racingjunk.com

You need to identify what brand the snout is then look for a shorter one. with good ID you can simply call the mfg and get what you need. It's a bolt on.

Just noticed:
Also you have the top blower pulley on backwards. Flip it around and maybe it will line up. Try this first.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Different snouts for different motors. Call one of the blower manufactures, BDS, Blower Shop, Wieand and tell them you want a front bearing cover plate and snout for a 6-71 to fit a SBC...

The guys at the Blower Shop are great to work with and should be able to fix ya up. Along with an intake if you haven't gotten that far yet.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Can the top pulley be turned around? I thought that pulley went the other way.(not sure)
Old 01-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Can the top pulley be turned around? I thought that pulley went the other way.(not sure)
Even turned around my guess is it's not going to come close.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

Hey man, nice car. Anyways, it appears A: the upper pulley and idler are on backwards, 99% of blowers are run with a reversed upper pulley. B: the v belt pulley on the engine and the pulley pictured on the top of the blower in the bag appear different. One in bag looks thicker?. And it is very possible you have a big block chev front drive. Big block are like 3 inches longer than a small block, but the harmonic balancer bolt pattern is the same. It looks like a well built unit with the pressure relief valve and all, but to be honest thats a pretty big blower for a 2 or 2.5 inch belt ( it looks that size anyways ) most huffers that size run 4 inchers. You may have a "project" blower that some one gave up on. Contact a speed shop or high performance engine builder in your area and pick their brains, hopefully it will be a simple fix.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Checking on the blower shops website, you'll need a standard front cover, then you'll need the proper drive snout - I'm sure they will be able to inform you which one you'll need, they come in 4 different lengths.

3.90 inches
5.15 inches
5.90 inches
6.90 inches

They also come with the coupler that fits on the end. I've seen some blowers for the not of norm applications using the smaller pulleys, most use the 3" belt not a 4" as stated above. I have a 3.25, that's about the largest I've seen. The Pro Classes in drag racing may use a 4", not completely sure.

You could probably find the front cover and snout on ebay cheaper, but then you could be right back where ya started with mismatched components. BTW - you do realize you have to run a short water pump when using a blower?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownBigBlock447
Checking on the blower shops website, you'll need a standard front cover, then you'll need the proper drive snout - I'm sure they will be able to inform you which one you'll need, they come in 4 different lengths.

3.90 inches
5.15 inches
5.90 inches
6.90 inches

They also come with the coupler that fits on the end. I've seen some blowers for the not of norm applications using the smaller pulleys, most use the 3" belt not a 4" as stated above. I have a 3.25, that's about the largest I've seen. The Pro Classes in drag racing may use a 4", not completely sure.

You could probably find the front cover and snout on ebay cheaper, but then you could be right back where ya started with mismatched components. BTW - you do realize you have to run a short water pump when using a blower?
I already ended up selling that blower pictured above and am looking around for another unit instead of buying parts to swap that one over.

Anybody have any ideas whether this would work or not? The guy sent me pictures and it has amuch shorter snout.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

My blower has the pulley turned around , but it lookes like you may have a drive that is just plain to long. Mine is way shorter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0018_0001.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	26827  
Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

That looks like it might be a stock GMC snout. I don't think they are used any more. I don't think you could mount the idler bracket on the snout of this one. There are idler mounts that mount on the front cover and also one that mount on the blower gear cover but getting one that fits might be a problem. You have to know your application and what you are looking at.

I'd just get the correct aftermarket stuff and be done with it. Some of this stuff that floats around on e-bay and Craigs list does just that ...it floats from one person to the next.

blownbigblock is right about the sizes. The belts are inch size for the flat or Gilmer timing belts. They come in 2 and 3 inch wide and are 57, 58.5, and 60 inches long and have a 1/2 in pitch. There are longer and shorter ones but these are the most common. They are available right over the counter at industrial supply houses. The next size is the 8mm pitch. These are generally 75 mm wide for most of the hotrod stuff. For the really big stuff there is the 14 mm pitch. Best bet is to get them right from the blower shops.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkostoj
I already ended up selling that blower pictured above and am looking around for another unit instead of buying parts to swap that one over.

Anybody have any ideas whether this would work or not? The guy sent me pictures and it has amuch shorter snout.
Unless ya got good money for the other one, I'd say your going backwards. The bearing plate and case look like an original GM piece. I'd personally stay away from this one and spend a lil more money for something better, but that's just me.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.