Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My 700R4 won't hold first (low) gear!
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 10:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
Early design 700 tranny will upshift to 2nd gear while the shifter is in 1st.
Yes, but that is supposed to be at WOT. My situation has it where the transmisison will automatically shift into 2nd gear even if I'm idling down the driveway with the gear selector in 1st. This is not the normal operation of any 700R4 I've ever seen before... early or late model.

I must have checked the cable assembly a zillion times to make sure the shifter is indeed pulling the cable far enough to engage 1st gear.

I t just puzzles me that I NEVER had this problem with this same transmission until I recently had the transmission gone through. Did he forget something when he reinstalled the valve assembly?

Quote:
You can do 1 of 2 things;

Install a larger low/reverse boost valve (.296 diameter)... or install a TransGo shift kit...
It might come down to that. I tried installing a TCI manual valve body, but the "fabulous" TCI kit wouldn't engage 2nd or 4th gear (the servo otherwise works just fine). Never mind the fact that it burnt up about $400 in brand spanking new clutchs and bands buring my three mile test drive.

TCI = dog poop

Quote:
Could be mismatched parts
I hope you are wrong... but fear that you are right.