My 72 360 FE Truck motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 12:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My 72 360 FE Truck motor

On my 16th birthday, my grandfather gave me his 72 F-100. I was the envy of ALL of the grandchildren, and some of the children as well. This truck has been a big part of the family since 73 when he purchased the truck, so I absolutely love it.

But since then, I've been constantly working on it. I just turned past 117K miles on it, which is barely anything compared to anything else this old, but I have still been having continuous problems with the engine. Nothing big, small stuff, but it's just become an overall pain. I'm told the reason that I'm having so many problems with it is that it sat for 3 years, moving maybe a total of 10 miles in that time, before I got it, so now I've decided it's time to maybe rebuild it and restore the truck, or start looking to other options as far as engines go.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Should I just rebuild it, and if so, should I go for mild-moderate street performance or should I just rebuild it back to stock, or should I just put an all new engine or a crate engine in it?

Thank you for any help guys.
Jason

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Jason, I have a 72 ranchero, and a 72 360 FT engine that I want to put in it, I have been told by reliable sources that you can get up to about 400hp with the right stuff in it, most of the 390 FE stuff will fit a 360 FE, I think the only difference between them is in the bore, [note I said I think]. With the right cam, carb, intake manifold, exhaust set up you should get quite a mean performance from it, and it will be a lot cheaper than getting another engine. You will probably have to take the heads off and get them cleaned up and check the state of your pistons etc, but I say, stick to the 360 and build it up.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

That's what i've been thinking. If I rebuild the engine, I'd probably go ahead and go with new heads and pistons, so that wouldn't be too much of a worry. The only thing I hate about having such an old 360, is the incredibly horrible gas mileage I get. I'm talking about 8 mpg typically, sometimes as low as 6. That's rough on an 18 year old kid, and now I'm required to drive within about 60 miles of my home for work, on a daily basis. Can I expect rebuilding my engine to get better gas mileage, or at least not get any worse than it does if I go for mild to moderate performance?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

I get about 12mpg in my 351C and I was told that was good , in our terms its about 5 kms per litre, and that to me is not good, but hey, its fun. I think if you redo the motor as stock you will get better milage, it you go to mild to moderate performance your milage will still be better than what you are getting at the moment, remember your carb is probably dirty and causing your gas milage to be higher, there are a lot of other factors as to why a tired engine would chew gas, could be a couple of gaskets leaks all over the place etc. I will check with a friend of mine in your area, he is the one who gave me the info on the 360 and ask him what the milage should be.

Whats your gear ratio? Apparently you should be getting about 14 - 18 mpg, driving conservatively, and about 14 driving um... how should I put it, liberally...

Last edited by Moby302; 09-16-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

I have no clue what my gear ratio is. It's an explorer model, which im told came with a camper special package (or so they say, apparently it's different rear leaf springs, and so on), and I think that it's got a lower gear ratio because of that. As far as the carb, goes, it shouldn't be that as I just bought a rebuilt motorcraft 2 bbl, same as what came on it. Before I switched, only one of the barrels was working. I'm told that the more I drive the truck, the better the gas mileage will get, because lately I've only been driving it sparingly, but now I have to carry a 20 foot ladder with me for work (I do roofing estimates), so I need to make it run as good as I can, while keeping it fun.

Next on my list of to-dos:
new stereo

That AM radio with center mounted paper cone just doesn't cut it.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Quote:
Next on my list of to-dos: new stereo
LOL, I got a new cd/mp3 player for my birthday, problem is the noise from the engine drowns out all the music, so now I am going to design a full surround sound set up for the 70, still got to put new headlining in and sail panels so I want to design something that will give me surround sound and that can be fitted into the h/l and s/p so that it does not look out of place.
I am not quite up to date with all this car audio stuff so maybe you can help me out there, my kids have all got this bass sound thing going, the house vibrates when they turn the music up, I don't want that, I want to be able to hear what I am playing, not end up sound blasted and brain dead.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

I can understand how that would bother you. Really, building a sound system for your car would all depend on personal choices, how you prefer to listen to your music, the sound you like, how much you're willing to spend (this is a big one), and the music you listen to.

My plans call for:
1. A fuel cell. I'm tired of having the gas tank stuck behind my seat, and I'll probably but a pair of subwoofers back there anyways.
2. I'm making custom metal 6x9 enclosures to fit behind the seat (or to the sides of) in the rear, how would you say, pillars I guess?
3. I'm having tweed interior done by a friend of mine, and we're either going to some put 5 1/4's or 6 1/2's in the door, really, once again it's preference. The 5 1/4's usually wont push as many low tones as the 6 1/2's.
4. I'm going to have to put a new receiver in, preferably mp3, but as long as it's a decent cd player, I'll be happy. I'm partial to clarions, though im starting to like alpines as well. As far as speaker manufacturers go, I prefer kenwood, rockford fosgate (usually expensive though), and infinity.

My biggest concern as far as stereo goes, is I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with cutting into my dash/having a stereo place cut into my dash, but I dont want an overhead console. I'm considering a hidden stereo, but then the cd changer would just be a hassle.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Mine was just wired up and lying on the seat, till I could find a good place for it, taken it now, seeing as I could hear nothing. I thinking Rockford for the sub, which I can mount along the back seat, its open thru the boot [trunk], 6 x 9's on the back panel ledge, the holes are precut there and there is no interior cloth/vinyl there yet, then something in the back sail panels, got to be something more or less round, about 4"'s, cos there is a custom hole there as well, something that will give a clear sound, like I said , not that clued up, I want something overhead, directed at me, maybe those small ones that look like 6 X 9's, maybe tweeters, cos I like listening to all sorts of music, love Celine Dion on full blast [did I make you whince there sorry].

I read somewhere about someone putting their cd player under the seat and then using the remote to operate it, some kind of setup where the remote would 'get' to the cdplayer. Seeing as I live in a country quite infamous for its crime I don't really want to advertise what kind of sound I have, so I want to hide the cd player away as well, theives are so clever these days that it does not matter if the player has a face clip on or not, they can just get them on the grey market. I also don't fancy getting shot just cos someone like my audio system, and they'll shoot you just to get your cellphone here.
Prices here are going down so Kenwood is pretty well priced, of course you can get real cr*p for next to nothing, but you get what you pay for. My problem is also size, I need really slim speakers, and so far sony seem to be the only ones that have them,
Old 09-16-2003, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

Where do you live?

Custom Auto Sound has a great system called Secret Audio. Check it out here

I have also seen many hidden speaker installations as well. Maybe you could talk to a local upholstery shop about that, and get some ideas from them.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:22 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Southernmost tip of Africa. .za.

I have spoken to the upholstery guy already and he is going to put in what ever I give him, he has done quite a bit of work for us and does a really good job, at a really good price, which is most important .
I saw a 56 or so chevy truck here today with shaved doors, I think that is the right description, no handles, all operated by remote, with a hidden switch for when the remote gets lost, now that is something else I would like to do, that and a cut off fuel switch.

Thanks for that link, going to print it out and see if any of the local audio shops have got anything like it.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
most of the 390 FE stuff will fit a 360 FE, I think the only difference between them is in the bore, [note I said I think].
The 360, 390 and 410 share the same bore, 4.05".
The difference is the stroke 3.50" for the 360 and 3.78" for the 390.
The 360 has the same stroke as a 352.

Personally I would be looking for a 390 crank and rods before putting much work into a 360. I think you would be much happier with the results.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:23 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashFarmer2
The difference is the stroke 3.50" for the 360 and 3.78" for the 390.
The 360 has the same stroke as a 352.

Personally I would be looking for a 390 crank and rods before putting much work into a 360. I think you would be much happier with the results.
He's right, and thats what I did. i'm in the process of rebuilding a 72 F250. welcome
Old 09-16-2003, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

very nice. Do you have any pictures? It'd be nice to see someone going through the same thing as me. I have about 8 in my gallery.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:22 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

click on the butterfly.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Quote:
I think the only difference between them is in the bore, [note I said I think].
Quote:
See, thats why I add that [I think] on, I knew there was a difference somewhere but must admit I get my bores and strokes mixed up .

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.