Hot Rod Forum banner

My Air Compressor is SPRAYING OIL! Help!

9K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  klutchmaster427 
#1 ·
I've got a binks model 33-1174 Air compressor with a quincy pump. it was running well, and then suddenly oil starting shooting from a part on the side of the pump. I have no clue what the part is for, or what its called. I attached pictures of it to help identify it. Can anyone tell me what the part is? and what I need to do to stop the leak?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Need more info here, is the pump oil level right and not overfilled? does it spray even when the pump is not running? Did this start suddenly or did it gradually get worse? Does it seem to have air pressure leaking out with the oil? An overfilled crankcase can vent oil out but so can a busted piston. A stuck backflow valve from the tank can let pressure back into the pump where it could leak past the rings and pressurize the crankcase however that looks like a lot of oil. Tell us a little more about how it is acting.

#3 ·
well i didnt notice any leaking at all and then suddenly it just started literally spraying out. i shut it off right away and waited about 10 minutes. turned it back on to see if i could see where the oil was coming from. it didnt spray that time. shut it back off and added about half quart of oil. started it up and it sprayed again. my initials thought was that it was overfilled, but i dont want to make that assumption and blow it up by running it without oil.

#4 ·
I assume from the way you describe the problem in your last post that it quits spraying after the pump stops? If so that eliminates a stuck back-flow valve but it still sounds as if you have air pressure leaking into the crankcase, does it have air coming out with the oil? Make sure the crankcase is not overfilled and if not you need to determine how the pressure is leaking into the pump case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.