My AOD, the full story - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post My AOD, the full story

As you all probably know by now, I finally got my AOD into my car after months of saving, building and anticipating. I'll try to make this story as short as possible. To start out with, I have an 88 AOD that I rebuilt. Considering that 4 speed automatics are pretty comlicated internally, I had my dad do the rebuilding process. Although hes never done an AOD, he has built 2 C4s in the last 2 years and felt pretty confident before and after the rebuild. The mods that I did to it are a solid input shaft conversion, 2400 rpm converter, shift kit, and 2 inch OD band. Everything besides that is just like it came from the factory. 2 days ago we put it in the car, filled it up, warmed up the engine and tranny, then adjusted the TV cable to factory specs. Art Carr said you can use Type F or Dextron/mercon but type F shifts quicker. He also said type F is going out of production. So I used dextron/mercon because I didn't feel like changing the fluid if I couldn't find anymore type F. After we were all ready to go, I took the car out for a test drive. Everything shifted fine, all 4 gears up high and down low, although it was really mushy. After I drove it, my dad drove it, and he said he noted the same thing as when I drove it. We did the tranny in the next town over, about a 15 minute drive in a friends shop. When I drove home the tranny hesitated shifting into 2nd and would only shift into 3rd at WOT. Little by little, it would only shift at higher rpms. But I finally got home. The next day I was really worring about the way it was shifting so I called Art Carr's tech line to ask them. They said the factory's specifications for the TV cable adjustment was no longer accurate becuase I had a shift kit and it changed the pressure of the TV port. They said to adjust it so there was a little bit of tension at idle, and at full throttle, I needed to be at the end of the travel. Thats it. He said another thing that could cause it is there could be some sort of grit in the valve body thats catching up on something. Susposedly AOD valve bodies are really finicky about cleanliness. Soo, I adjusted the TV cable to how he said after I got off the phone and took it for another spin. It helped a little but still only wanted to shift at higher RPMs. No 3rd or 4th. Today, I took off the pan, and took out the valve body. At this time I noticed little metal fish scales in the bottom of the pan. The tranny fluid looked glittery. Alarming, but what does it mean? It looks like aluminum, but i'm not sure. I took the valve body comletely apart, cleaned everything with carb cleaner, lubed it up, and put it back together. This is the first time the valve body was completely apart while it has been in my possession. While it was apart I noticed one of the springs/plungers were not installed correctly according to my manual, so I did it right. I put the clean, perfectly assembled valve body back into the car and bolted everything back up. When I took it for a drive, nothing got better, in fact, it would only shift into 2nd after I took it to 6000rpm then let off the gas. 6000rpm! And no other gears! Needless to say, I'm very dissapointed. My car was supposed to run 12s with my current setup, but instead I can't even drive it down the street without getting to at least 4500rpms. The thing won't shift. What do you guys think it is? I'm all out of ideas. Could it be the governer? Or did I permanently destroy my transmission by driving it home with a mis-adjusted TV cable. The flakes? The pluner/spring mishap? I don't know wether I want to get another AOD, transfer the good hard parts that I bought, then rebuild it exactly like the manual says. Or should I pay somebody? Then again I could always get a T-5 from a mustang. I dunno...i just don't know.

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: mustang66maniac ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2003, 02:29 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Question

[quote]I called Art Carr's tech line to ask them.

They said the factory's specifications for the TV cable adjustment was no longer accurate becuase I had a shift kit and it changed the pressure of the TV port. They said to adjust it so there was a little bit of tension at idle, and at full throttle, I needed to be at the end of the travel.<hr></blockquote>

Wasn't their recommendation of alterting TV pressure included with the shift kit? In a AOD, TV pressure (amount of fuel desired) and the governor (speed of vehicle) controls shifting points. Their method of setting the TV cable doesn't sound too accurate.

Do you have a factory manual? You are going to have to go through diagnostic sequences also considering the modifications made.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

There was no instructions about altering TV pressure in the shift kit. All it says is to make sure you have full TV cable movement at full trottle. Then it warns you that you could ruin your transmission if its not adjusted properly.

I don't have a factory manual, its just a manual that I got from a tranny shop. I could probably get ahold of one though.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:09 AM
aka Duke of URL

Arrow

[quote]Originally posted by mustang66maniac:

There was no instructions about altering TV pressure in the shift kit. All it says is to make sure you have full TV cable movement at full trottle. Then it warns you that you could ruin your transmission if its not adjusted properly.<hr></blockquote>

Now that sounds scary!

[quote]I don't have a factory manual, its just a manual that I got from a tranny shop. I could probably get ahold of one though.<hr></blockquote>

If it is a professional repair manual, it should have diagnostic sequences to follow. If it doesn't, you will need a FORD Shop Manual for the year AOD you have.

If you are lucky, you may only have a problem with the valve body and no other damage has been done.

Did you call Baumann Engineering and speak with one of their tech people? They are very helpful even if you bought Brand X.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:19 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

I didn't call them, but I'll try that
Old 01-15-2003, 06:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

It sounds like the unit is blowing off pressure from the governor.

When you built the unit, was the ring land area in the back of the case OK? A critical area.

Was the governor mount loose on the output shaft? A common fix is a small piece of O-ring under the locating check ball to tighten this up.

Metal shavings in the oil? Did you folks replace bushings? Certain bushings require a correct installation depth to avoid conflict with the torrington bearings.

You say the valves were free. Did you stroke them fully to check for sticky valve at a partial stroke?

Tony
Old 01-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

Hmm, not sure about the ring land area, or the governer being loose for that matter. I do know that we took it off during the rebuild, but we just put it back on so it looked the same as when we took it off.

Is the governer a really touchy part of this transmission? I'm thinking I'm going to take off the tailshaft housing tomorrow so I can look at it. What should I look for? Does anybody know where I can find a drawing or diagram of the governer?

A lot of the bushings looked to be in good shape so we left them in there. I don't believe we checked the depth on the ones we did change.

I checked the valves and they appeared to me moving freely.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:48 PM

At least you don't have my luck.I've owned my Lincoln for 3 years and I am on my 3rd AOD. Steve
Old 01-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

Hopefully you re-installed the governor correctly. The fluid transfer holes are off set.

A common problem is the sealing rings wear grooves into the rear area on the case. This causes many troubles. Irratic shifting, no 3rd gear .

The whole gov and valve body assembly are touchy to changes, leaks, dirt, etc.

Tony

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Crosley ]</p>
Old 01-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

thanks for the help guys
Old 01-19-2003, 10:49 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

I had a thrust washer where there was supposed to be no thrust washer. And no thrust washer where there was supposed to be a thrust washer. The metal was from two drums rubbing against each other. And for some reason, the TV section of my valve body didn't work. A new one is in the works. Possibly full manual...well see. Goes to show you that you can't always get quality stuff from an auto dissmantler.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:45 PM

i'm having the exact same problem eccept a shop rebuilt mine with a 2200 stall and shift kit it's an 88 aod and i'v only got 600 miles on it and now all i have is 1st gear. the shop is trying to blame my linkage saying that when you put it in park its catching between the reverse and 1st gear bands and that that is what did the dammage .personaly i think the shop is full of ****.so i am very interested in finding out the end result of your situation as i have a 1000 dollar rebuild on the line........
Old 01-20-2003, 03:20 PM
aka Duke of URL

Question

[quote]...the shop is trying to blame my linkage saying that when you put it in park its catching between the reverse and 1st gear bands and that that is what did the dammage.<hr></blockquote>

Did they rebuild the trans and install, or did you install? If they installed, it is their responsibility to know that the shift linkage is adjusted correctly and functional.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:30 PM

no i did the install but they checked it out at that time sayin it was fine
Old 01-20-2003, 04:06 PM
aka Duke of URL

Thumbs up

Well...then the ball is in their court. If push comes to shove, go to your local Consumer Protection Agency or take them to small claims court.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.