My big block Nova is over heating HELP ! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 04:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My big block Nova is over heating HELP !

Help I have an Over heating problem !

My 71 Nova is over heating the temp gauge will slowly creep up to 230+ degrees when in sitting at an idle. The temp stays around 200 when the car is moving and cools quickly to this temp. Here is the background on this car. The engine is a very mild ( almost stock ) big block 454. The car is not running headers it still has the stock exhaust manifolds with flow masters. I have a Jeg's aluminum 2 row radiator with 1 inch tubes about 27"x 19" a Jeg's high volume water pump, and 195* thermostat using distilled water . I also have a small, but full fan shroud and a aluminum flex fan.

The engine timining is fine and I am running a 750 holley carb. When the car is running at idle I can feel good air flow from the fan and I can see good water flow in the radiator, but still this thing is running too hot, and yes the gauge is correct. Any ideas? I have been fighting this problem for a while and I am at a loss here! Thank you in advance for any help you can provide?.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Imo, I would scrap that flex fan. Don't like them, instead, swap to a good ol' fashion steel clutch fan and you'll save some horsepower as well since you will have the clutch setup and should flow much better as well.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Classix & I both feel your pain We both have 454s in our elkys-I think he has solved his issue---But mine is still not running as cool as I would like.
Clutch fan would be a good start, but also check to see if the air can get OUT of the engine bay. My next step is to remove the A-arm seals for added ventilation, I also have an aluminum 2-core radiator but I have dual electric fans. I have not yet seen 220 at idle with the a/c running and I do get cooled down to 190-195 while moving. Living in So. Tx. gets damn hot here and also humidity is not my friend. I would probably run cooler in Phoenix at 115 than I do here at 100.
I would think that a properly shrouded engine driven clutch fan should help greatly, since you are only having the problems in traffic or at idle.

Bryan

200 is okay given you have a 195 t-stat.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I bought a 1969 Nova Super Sport with the 396/375 horsepower option ... NEW ... and they came with a 4 row radiator. NOT a 2 row ... They had a 7 blade belt driven fan and a shroud. Within 90 days of purchase it was a 427 BBC and within a year it had a 454/450 LS - 6 motor ... even here in the hot and humid SOUTH ... it would run 190 or so ... no problems ... with the BIG radiator.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

I agree a 6 or 7blade clutch fan and a BIG radiator. I built 403 Olds that with the a/c on would go 210 (gets hot & humid in nebraska too) a buddie of mine owns a radiator shop (been best friends since grade school ) I told him and he he said pull it in the shop and pop the hood, he pulled a 4 row radiator out of a box put it in the Olds with antifreeze . Problem solved. I'm was running a 7blade clutch fan too.

Mustangsaly
Old 07-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

It sounds like you have a good radiator and water pump.
Your water pump should be overdriven 10%.

Definitely a thermostatic fan clutch and 7 blade fan with the blades 3/4 inch maximum inside the shroud. Seal your radiator area so that at low speeds the hot air is not recirculated back into the front of the radiator or under the bumper.

If you have to use a flex fan, go to www.derale.com and keep clicking on the flex fan pictures. You will eventually come to the big stainless flex fans. The blade twist begins with the hub and they move lots of air with very little hp loss. I have used these and have had excellent results.

You might read through this thread for addtional ideas.
Cooling Fan/ Tight fit

www.readershotrods.com

Last edited by xntrik; 07-23-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.