Is my Brake Master Cylinder Toast? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is my Brake Master Cylinder Toast?

Hey guys, I picked up my '75 280z in late June 2009 as a non-runner. It has been sitting for the previous 3+ years. When going through my engine bay prior to my LSx swap in early July I removed the master cylinder to avoid getting paint on it. On Monday earlier this week I re-installed the master cylinder and added new fluid and began the bleeding process starting with the master cylinder itself, then the pass rear bleeder, driver rear bleeder, pass front bleeder, and finally driver front bleeder.

After getting all the air out of the system I am still having issues with getting the brakes to work. The pedal gives me some resistance vs when I first started bleeding the system, but still goes to the floor, even if I pump the pedal repeatedly with all the bleeders closed.

I have since re-bled the system 4 times since, including the master cylinder, and I even tried using a vacuum pump and gravity bleeding, and installed Russell Speed Bleeders on all 4 corners. No changes. I haven't driven the car yet but I have inspected the pads and shoes and they look great. The rear drums are adjusted correctly as well.

So this leaves me thinking that the master cylinder could be bad. I figure it might be bypassing internally since it doesn't leak a drop, thoughts on this?

Thanks guys!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

very possible, I would replace it just to be safe.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Confirmed the master cylinder was my problem. Replaced it, re-bled everything and now everything is good to go.

Too bad I am still a long way from driving it.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Chevy to the death!

Not to hijack the thread, but it looks like my master cyl in my 67 Impala is leaking. 4 corner drums, non-power brakes, and it happened right after I installed all new wheel cylinders and bled the brakes (flushed out all old dirty fluid). the two brake lines coming from the cyl are tight, so it looks like it's coming from the top cover, so i took the cover off, cleaned up the rubber mating surface and sanded/scraped the mating surface on the cyl. After driving for about 30 min or so, I'll pop the hood and it'll emit maybe a drop or two, and after 2 to 3 weeks of driving like this I checked the levels, and the front reservoir had 2/3rds of fluyid in it, and the rear had 1/2. What could be causing this and how would I fix it?
Old 09-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTiePride
Not to hijack the thread, but it looks like my master cyl in my 67 Impala is leaking. 4 corner drums, non-power brakes, and it happened right after I installed all new wheel cylinders and bled the brakes (flushed out all old dirty fluid). the two brake lines coming from the cyl are tight, so it looks like it's coming from the top cover, so i took the cover off, cleaned up the rubber mating surface and sanded/scraped the mating surface on the cyl. After driving for about 30 min or so, I'll pop the hood and it'll emit maybe a drop or two, and after 2 to 3 weeks of driving like this I checked the levels, and the front reservoir had 2/3rds of fluyid in it, and the rear had 1/2. What could be causing this and how would I fix it?
You might have some trash between the flares on your fittings. Just a thought.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Chevy to the death!

Good point, but I never took the lines off. Just dumped new fluid in and flushed it out and bled like normal
Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Gotcha.

Could you of overfilled the master cylinder? The fluid level will raise when you apply the brakes and could be pushing past the cover seal.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Chevy to the death!

You're gonna laugh at me for this one, (but I'm a small block guy, not a brakes guy that's my Dad's thing) but what should the fluid levels be? And thank you for your help btw
Old 09-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

I usually keep my fluid level 3/4" below the rim. I am sure there is an official measurement, but I have no idea what it is.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.