My Bro's 69 C10 Air Bag Project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My Bro's 69 C10 Air Bag Project

Hey guys/gals-
I've been talking about doing air bags on his 69 C10 on the board on a few posts, and I wanted to show the progress we have been getting. We are trying to get this truck as low as possible, but there's a problem with the front x-mbr. It actually sits lower than the frame on these years trucks. So, we got a kit that notched the x-mbr to recess it up into the frame 1.5". It was supposed to be a simple mod that did not effect anything else, but that was not the case. We ended up having troubles getting the steering linkages to work, so we switched to a rack and pinion. Not the worst set back in the world, but did at the time since the budget was tight. The front end is pretty much done now, and here's what it looks like! Just wanted to know what you guys think...

Mock up.

After clean up and install.

Front Side view to get an idea of how low it is.

Rear side view

Suspension peices.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

Nice.. wish i had the balls to try to install air ride on my truck

Nos
Old 03-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Looking good bro....
Very clean looking install. Just out of curiosity, where did the control arms come from?
What are you using for bags? compressor? etc?
I am going through the same thing with my S10, maybe I can give you some tips,pointers and shortcuts even. You actually didn't have to switch to a steering rack of you didn't want to(I'm sure the handling will be much better though) you could've 'tunneled' the frame for the steering linkage. I am going to have to do the same with the S10 because of the amount of drop,tire size, etc.
I am assuming that it lays frame(hence the Xmember swap)...what about the rear? 4link, shockwaves( ) cantilever?
Later,
WEIMER
Old 03-23-2004, 12:38 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

fawkin ay man !

im the proud owner of a 68 chevy 1/2 ton project truck ... and i want it riding low enough to decapitate a ciggarete box ..... on steel springs

i want my undercarriage to glow .... from SPARKS ... not neon

and heres a lil art program work i did to our style truck (original image stolen from the web)

chopped, stretched cab, shaved rockers, altered wheelbase, shaved vent windows and shaved side window frames are just a feeeew of the intended tibbits for the body

Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Weimer, THANKS! The whole kit (control arms, x-mbr, bags, compressor, and rear) came from Turner's Rods and Trucks. He made the whole set up in his little shop. He's a great guy, but takes FOREVER to get parts out. We were going to keep the old steering and just move the steering box up 1.5" along with other side (we had to tunnel the frame for either the rack or OEM steering, so it didn't matter), but the new lower control arms are mounted differently and hit the center connecting rod in the steering linkage. For the amount of work it would have taken to get the original steering to work, the rack seemed like a lot easier of a modification. It also helped out with the steering shaft clearance as well. The bags are universal air, don't know much about them at all, but they look pretty nice and don't widen out when decompressed like other bags I've seen. The compressor is a Viair 450, and a 5 gal tank, and 3/8" lines. The rear keeps the stock trailing arms, but the bags mount towards the middle of the arms instead of over the rear itself. There's also a mount relocator and 3" blocks to help with pinion angle. It's supposed to give nice lift and be able to get down real low. As far as it laying frame, the tranny x-mbr and center x-mber (that mounts the trailiing arms) hang below the frame as well, so that's what the truck is actually sitting on right now. There are kits for both of those x-mbrs to get them above the frame, but we can do that later. We have our hands full with the project right now. The rear should go fairly smooth, mostly bolt on additions, except for the monster notch.

Lowroller, thank you as well! We originally had maybe a 3/4" drop on it, and then we did a disc brake and drop spindle job in the front. It put that front end rediculously low! We were scraping the lower control arm everywhere, which got a little anoying, but not too bad. To do the static drop and get it in the weeds, you'll have to notch the rear with a c or even go up to a step. With the front that low though, it didn't ride too bad.

Last edited by gt2betubbed; 03-23-2004 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Is it Beer:30 yet?

Last photo:

DAMN THATS LOW!! Not my style...but looks good..Nice job
Old 03-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Thanks screamin. That's the beauty of air bags, you lay the frame while parked, and cruise around with it higher for a nice ride.

Any one here know anything about Titanium?
My brother's neighbor is a metal worker, and he got a hold a 1' rod. He says it sparks white flames, and he wants to put in on the truck for scrapers. Is this true?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

See if he can get a couple of blocks of Ti that are about 2"x3" x 4" high. Drill/tap it and make a nice sturdy L bracket to bolt it to the frame with. Also check ebay, people are always selling drag blocks on there. About any machine shop can get/order Ti for you...not very cheap though.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 03-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

I wish he could. He does all kinds of off the wall things in his shop. The reason he had the Ti in the first place was because a guy came in wanting a ring to be made out of it, and that's what was left over. He said that was only the second time he's worked with it, so they don't stock it at the shop. How's the S10 comin along? I've been watchin it, and it's looking great!
Old 03-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

For awesome white sparks you can get magnesium. It's pretty birght, almost like welding.

Mike
Old 03-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Is that cheaper than Ti? The rods that he has are only about 2" thick. It seems like it would be something that would grind down pretty fast.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightfire
For awesome white sparks you can get magnesium. It's pretty birght, almost like welding.

Mike
Do NOT...I repeat DO NOT drag on Magnesium! Mag is a very explosive metal with a very low ignition temp.Once it is ignited it becomes very dangerous. If water is used to "try" to put the fire out it will explode.
Here are some facts about it.Mg Facts
Just my $.02 worth.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 03-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Thanks Weimer for explaining that to me....I didn't know that. We just lit it in Science class once and I like the super intense sparks. So yeah, don't listen to me.....Weimer is right
Just got with Ti.
Mike
Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 AM

tow balls make great drag blocks

tow balls make great drag blocks. not as bright as titanium but a whole hell of alot cheaper. and porterbuilt makes everything you need to lay a c10 on the ground. there customer service is uncomparible. top notch work
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 AM

Very clean looking install. Just out of curiosity, where did the control arms come from?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.