Is My Bumper Strong Enough For Hitch? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 12:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is My Bumper Strong Enough For Hitch?

Hey everyone, ive got a 59 chevy apache short fleetside. It has the rounded rear bumper (not the sheet metal style utility bumper), reproduction but its pretty thick and a quality bumper. There is no hole drilled in the center for a ball but I see there are bolt on hitches that require you to drill a few holes in the bottom of the bumper and bolt on.

Im not going to be towing cars or anything, probably just a trailer with my toolbox when I move or furniture once a while.

Is the bumper strong enough to use this or do I HAVE to have a bulky hitch bolted straight to the frame? Thanks guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 AM
kc0kfg

Last photo:

Why skimp?

While we have all seen the just on the bumper and often they are plenty strong why not just build one that mounts on the frame?

Im not saying it has to be some huge class 4 hitch, with a simple bit of planning you could bolt something together, drill a few holes and mount it on the frame.

My Olds Silhouette has one hidden under the bumper, then they used a piece of .500 think plate that is about 3 inches wide, that slides into a slot and you put 2 bolts in under the van.

Its not going to pull anything huge but its plenty for a small trailer, best part is 2 bolts and its out of my way.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:00 AM

Last photo:

I wouldn't use the stock bumper.
You plan to only pull a light trailer NOW, but there may come a time when you want to pull a trailer and haul your next project home.
At that point you forget that the hitch is not really up to the chore and go ahead and put that tandem axle trailer on it, loaded with your new prize.
If you are lucky you get home without incident , but you see your nice aftermarket bumper is now scrap metal.
You thank your lucky stars that one bolt hadn't started to pull through, unlike the others.

A nice hitch doesn't have to be clunky.
Build a hitch that mounts high and align the receiver with the license plate. Install a flip down plate holder from a 65 Olds 442 or such and hide the receiver.
Flip the plate down, insert the stinger and tow that trailer without worry about overloading your hitch.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...om_fabrication
Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

dont do it
get a good receiver type hitch the tucks up behind your license plate
Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i don't think i've seen a bumper hitch since the early 70s.
i would't do it. the universal frame mounted receiver type hitches will work fine
or $10 worth of scrap and a welder gives me good results.

even my truk has a frame mount on it, and it wasn't easy

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.