My Dad's Buick LeSabre - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2006, 01:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My Dad's Buick LeSabre

I figured I'd post this in the basics section since I'm still fairly new to the board. so today was the finishing day of my work on my dad's '89 (I think) Buick LeSabre. Well my dad just got his parent's Buick. problem being that my grandpa had a little fender bender that messed up the hood, fender, bumper, and grill. as an autobody student and an employee at a body shop we decided that I'd do all the work to repair it aside from painting as a learning experience and some side cash for me. thats body work, tear down, priming and blocking, and color sanding and polishing.
as you can see there has been some previous body work that wasnt done very well.

some parts of the hood had between 3-4mm of bondo on it with a hit of rust underneith.

and the fender you could see the body work through the paint along with that nice deep dent. I actually enjoyed working with metal in this case when I straightened out the fender.

the bumper, bumper cover, and grill were toast. as for parts, the LeSabre wasnt one of those cars that were all that popular so not many replacement parts were made. we got the last new bumper from GM there was and a couple of the other parts were of a small inventory. this being my first time using the buffer at work I polished out the entire car. all I can say is that it looked like every other car thats been around for 16 years. now it looks like a brand new vehicle. Enjoy!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Excellent work.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

You did a good job on that. Looks as good as new.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Great Job!
Future reference, if you need parts, the midwest is loaded with them. It must be the Granny Capital of the U.S.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Great Job!
Future reference, if you need parts, the midwest is loaded with them. It must be the Granny Capital of the U.S.
thanks for the compliments. it was a very educational and fun project for me. and I'll keep what you said in mind about parts.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:32 PM

Wow!!!

You did a great job on that!!! Can you come and work on mine???? I have almost the exact same car, except mine is a 2-door coupe. It's an '87 in the exact same color. You can read about it HERE. I want to look into doing a little body work on it cuz it has rust on the rocker panels. People keep telling me its not worth it, but it has WAY too many new parts on it to just let the body go. What do you think??
Old 08-05-2006, 07:21 AM

You need to set up a page on www.cardomain.com (it is free) or something similar. Your ride on a embroidery page, J/K
It looks like a nice car, plus it is a 2dr, not a common LeSabre. If it has been taken care of (it looks like it has) why not? The engine is a 3.8 V6, they are well known to be dependable, get great gas milage (29-30) and run for 300k miles +. The registration and insurance should be low, plus it is yours.
I would say fix it and enjoy it, to heck with those who try to distract you.

Welcome to the site.
The car in my photo album is what yours would be with a little testosterone.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:37 AM

Hey, thanks, 1ownerT. I think I will set up my own page on that site!! And, your Buick is bad ***. LOL. Kind of reminds me of a Grand National...Also, any idea where I might be able to find that one part I'm missing???
Old 08-05-2006, 07:57 AM

Thanks,
One place that you could start a search is at www.lesabret.com (it is free to join) there are several LeSabre owners there that are always on the lookout for cars and parts.
Another place is www.car-part.com it is a national parts locater. The specific piece you are after probably won't be listed, but there should be dozens of salvage yards listed with contact info.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out when I get the chance. Also, here's a new page for my Buick. Hope you like it
Old 08-05-2006, 10:10 AM

That was quick! The page and the car look great Most people would never know that the car is 19 years old.
Here is the link to my page, it has my truck on it also. I set the page up yesterday, I have many more pics of the T to load.
Here
Old 08-05-2006, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Nice job. I repainted my '87 bonny years ago, a very similar car. Mine had severe rust and peeling paint issues that are so common on vehicles manufactured around that time though. Least it looks like yours was taken care of, so you didn't have to deal with that. Nice job on the dent. Pretty sad that a student has to show some of the shops out there the proper way to repair things. Call it the quest to make a quick buck. Keep it up looks like you are learning very well. My bonneville has the 3.8 too. It was a very dependable engine, nothing really ever went wrong with it till recently. Now it isn't running (think my fuel pump is weak) and I probably won't fix cause it needs suspension work and alignment and a few other things that make it not really worth it. The 80's- early 90's gms like these are pretty common around here and could probably pick up another in good shape that would be cheaper in the long run. But too many other vehicles that I'll probably send the old bonny rest in a junkyard somewhere. I got my money out of it many times over and it was nice having all the power accesserys and a comfy ride. And the pep the 3.8 has wasn't too bad either.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

it might not be desireable, but at least it's different... someday swap in a 3800SC or fab a turbo up to it; kinda like a fwd Grand National with some extra doors.

It'd be a neat project, and a killer sleeper too.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_wh2000
thanks for the compliments. it was a very educational and fun project for me. and I'll keep what you said in mind about parts.
Doc here,

Or...you could try, You pull~it..just down the road from you, what? 10 miles from Dixon?..Airbase Parkway, Fairfield Ca..

SUPER Cheap parts..and you bring your tools and select your part yourself (the very best you can find in like ton's of cars..) and pull it yourself..No "hamhanded " runner with a cutting torch..to cut off the very piece you needed..

Your closer to it then me..and I head that way all the time From Lafayette over close to Oakland...a 45 minute drive..worth the drive for some stuff you can't find anywhere else.

Doc
Old 08-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Automotive Enthusiast!

Last photo:

Nice work! I think the midwest is Granny capital, lots of those 80's/90's lesabres running around. Don't be caught offguard, some guys have modified those 3800 motors in them before and can catch you sleeping at the light if you are not careful. Pick your fights and your races accordingly.

-Cody

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.